1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thoughts on Ibanez SR Series?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mrtunes, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    I read a lot that the Nordstrand pickups they are using these days are better then the Barts? I personally like the SR650..

DTRN, nFinnyD, sonojono and 2 others like this.
  2. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I had both the SR500 (used to own an SR700 myself too) and the newer SR300E with the Powerspan pickups. I completely agree with you, the Powerspan pickups have changed the game somewhat. I preferred the sound of the SR300E over the Bartolini SR500 due to the pickups but in terms of pretty much everything else - the neck, the overall quality of the parts ie. bridge, tuners etc., the SR500 was still a step up. When I was paring my bass collection, it was a toss up of which Ibanez bass to keep and which one to sell as each had its strengths.

Inara likes this.
  3. sonojono

sonojono Supporting Member

If you can save a little money look into the SR650’s hands down THEE BEST Ibanez SR for the money and are rarely found used for a decently good price. I sold mine on reverb but still waiting for the buyer to send payment... if nothing by this weekend and are interested PM me @mrtunes

I recently bought an Ibanez Roadstar and was looking into putting the SR650 towards it since I purchased the roadstar under credit. Any who, the real reason for the SR650 suggestion is the Nordstrand pickups.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    DTRN, nFinnyD, Relayer71 and 2 others like this.
  4. mrtunes

mrtunes

Jun 26, 2020
    I went in to try a bunch of basses today at a location that had more selection. I could confirm the SR series basses were to my taste (300). there was even the iron pewter finish which was most bearable. I found the mezzo had tone issues similar to what was mentioned above. Against the Squire P-Bass I can confirm the SRs dial into the tone I want better and I move around with more ease.

And then I found a used Yamaha TRBX304 just sitting there. I think it's silver finish. For $200 CAD($225 with tax). That's $170 for an American. Really good condition. They said the owner didn't have it long and exchanged it, then it rented out for a bit. Well thanks to Maxdusty I gave it a shot and found a very similar vibe to the SR basses at a much lower price tag so I said what the heck let's do this. I have 90 days, if I don't like it I will go with the SR. Still really curious what the Epiphone Thunderbird is all about.

mngnt, pcake, sonojono and 1 other person like this.
  5. mrtunes

mrtunes

Jun 26, 2020
    Thanks for the offer and opinion. I am going to keep this thread as reference for the future over next few weeks and for my next bass too

6. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Good price for what you get.

7. Ggaa

Ggaa

Nov 26, 2018
    Me too-I had a SR605 for a while, great bass but a little small, not enough push back or whatever.

el murdoque likes this.
  8. mrtunes

mrtunes

Jun 26, 2020
    my first playback, the Yamaha is a little noisy for some reason. I am able to test it against the rented Epiphone EB-3 which is quieter. strings are wider apart on the Yamaha so i can move around the Epiphone better even though it has a longer neck. The Yamaha has more options for dialing in different tones quicker, and the Epiphone is better at being non-offensive in general.

I will keep playing and see what I like and don't like.

I feel like it's harder to find the right bass than it is to find the right guitar but this has been fun so far.

9. sonojono

sonojono Supporting Member

From my experience. Bottom heavy but kind of uncomfortable playing when standing. There’s an easy solution to this and that’s reposition the strap button (meaning you’re gonna have to drill a hole to relocate where you want the button to be).

10. mrtunes

mrtunes

Jun 26, 2020
    this whole bass project is really just for recording, but it does look like an awkward design

11. I like them so much I've got three - an SR800, a SR1300 Premium, and a SRX700 (got it from a pawn shop for $300). They're supernaturally light and the EQs give them a wide range of sound. If I were to sell one it would be the 800 with the Bartolini pickups, but it sounds too good.

12. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    That's really strange, my Yamaha is super quiet in terms of hums, buzzes, static or any unwanted noise, in fact it's quieter than anything else I have, Fender, Ibanez, Musicman, Tune. I've owned another TRBX304 and a TRBX305 previously too, neither was noisy either. It does sound like the contacts inside may need some cleaning as it was a rental perhaps? Yes, the neck is a little wider than the Ibanez SR basses but is much more stable in terms of being affected by temperature changes and having to adjust the truss rod. You bought it really inexpensively, if you don't like it, you might be better off trying to re-sell it. You'll very likely get a higher price than what you paid for it. Yes, the quest is fun and never ending, I've been playing bass for over 30 years and still looking for that proverbial unicorn. lol
    I just picked up the CV Mustang a couple hours ago. Yes, it's got a little of that plunky sound to it as you mentioned, but I expected it based on some reviews I had read beforehand, it is indeed a nice size. It might be the suitable retro sounding bass I was looking for.

13. I dig my Squier Mustang, but I've got one of the older VM series, not the CV. Still, it's a nice little bass. Definitely works well with flats, although I've got some super plinky bright nickels on it now. Darn thing is heavier than I would like, but...

14. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    I own several SRs. From the cheapest ones to the most expensive Premiums (I've never tested the Prestige SRs though).

The cheaper SRs are the winners for me. The SR300E is a very nice instrument and amazing value.

The more expensive ones aren't really that much better IMO. Just flashier. Different rather than better. And a LOT more expensive.

Stay away from the SR2600 and SR2605. They've got the mono rail bridge mounted too far from the neck, making them impossible to intonate properly with most strings. I don't know if any of the other Premium mono rail SRs are affected by this too. Shockingly poor from a manufactured I normally regard as rock solid.

15. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    This is from my nbd post a few years ago. Being very used to playing an old Precision I am surprised how much I like the neck and feel of the sr805. The bass was used but about half new cost. Pro quality bass imho for not much dough.

I should add that I also picked up an old but in perfect condition entry level sr around the same time. It has the same feel to it as an expensive one. Not a pro bass but still good.
    84BA9266-8261-4280-8188-87BBA3780F33.jpeg

16. nabilhuakbar

nabilhuakbar

Jan 13, 2020
    Utah
    Ibanez SRs are excellent basses. I had an SR750 for a while and it was a truly fantastic bass, however I can't stand the narrow neck and string spacing any more so I gave it a good home with someone who would play and appreciate it. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one of those or an SR650, they're hard to come by on the used market though.

I can also speak for the Squier CV 70s P bass...it's awesome. You won't regret owning one

17. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
  18. pbass74

pbass74

Sep 19, 2015
    Sunland, CA
    Another vote for the SR 650. I have the 750 which isn't made any more, but has the same PJ pickup configuration and is essentially the same bass. You have a choice between active or passive mode and lots of tonal options.

sonojono and nabilhuakbar like this.
  19. Big fan of Ibanez basses.
    The SR300 series are great basses. I had the pearl SR300M with maple fretboard and loved it. Be sure to get the model with 5 individual pots as opposed to the stacked bass and mids model.
    (Sorry but I didn't look at any photos of the bass in question.)
    These stacked pots have caused me no end of issues.
    Also, there have been some issues noted about dodgy input jacks on some of these basic/starter models.
    Would I be upset if mine got pinched?
    Yes I would.
    Would I buy another to replace it?
    Probably not. I'd look for a newer model but if $$ was an issue; for sure.

20. Outbush

Outbush

Nov 6, 2016
    Australia
    I've thought about the Mezzo and a bit of research suggests it has the same pickups as the TMB 30 but they have added a preamp. That would mean you could hook it up to be active or passive with push/pull pot- or your local tech/TV repairman could anyway. If I get one that's what I will do (then lose my head and put Nordstrand Pickups in instead).

When I wade into threads like this its always saying buy what is most comfortable for you to play. Comfort, ergonomics, weight and balance are much harder to change than the sound of the bass which is basically just changing pickups and capacitors (apparently).

Edit: My bass is an SR755NTF and based on this I would always recommend the SR650, great sound. They are way more expensive though, at least out here.

nabilhuakbar likes this.