1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thoughts on Ibanez SR Series?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mrtunes, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    My main bass from 94 to 2012 was a all maple sr505 with jj pickups, its still a great bass.. I also have 2 six strings one mik and one mij both black... I never really played a total dud sdgr... Played lots of dud fenders though...

2. sonojono

sonojono Supporting Member

zontar likes this.
  3. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i came THIS close to buying a pewter SR300, but i found a used SR500 on the wall of the same guitar center for $199, and, well, it came home with me.

4. nnnnnn

nnnnnn

Oct 27, 2018
    Australia
    It's fine to use whichever scale length you find most comfortable, but I don't agree that having a background in guitar is a reason to choose any particular scale length for bass. Lots of people go from guitar straight to standard 34" scale bass with no problems.

You mentioned trying Jazz and Precision basses: they are both standard "long scale" basses (34").

5. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    btw, i'm 5' 3", and i went from short scale acoustic guitar to long scale bass - actually started on an extra long scale, then moved to a 34". i had no problem going from 24" scale guitars to 34" basses at all. if i hadn't had a long term injury, i'd still be playing long scales.

6. gigetto

gigetto

Sep 25, 2019
    Italy
    Not cheap but 1100 SR with Northstand at price point is a good bass. PJ series with Northstands or Bartolini used are interesting for the price.

7. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    Thirst time I saw a Soundgear bass I knew I had to try it
    And my thought after (I don't remember which model it was, but it wasn't a high end one)--if I ever buy another bass I want a Soundgear.
    years later when I finally bought a second bass (& wanted to go fretless) I found an SR500F--and as soon as I held it (I hadn't even played it) I knew I was buying it.
    I've never played a bad Soundgear.

Maybe another bass would be better for you & more to your liking--but you should always consider one.

8. mrtunes

mrtunes

Jun 26, 2020
    nice work! another good deal happened in this thread

9. mrtunes

mrtunes

Jun 26, 2020
    just wanted to update that this thread would be incomplete if I didn't buy an Ibanez soundgear bass at some point. yesterday I exchanged the good deal I got on the Yamaha trb and got a new Ibanez SR300IPT - Iron Pewter. On my first playback in the house, I'm very satisfied with it so far for a number of reasons.
    • It's light and comfortable.
    • I like to play closer to the neck for that round, rolled off sound, and that almost happens by default on this bass.
    • The extra frets give you the option to play chords and the higher harmonics.
    • Lots of tone options to switch through (although the five way selector on the trb is really cool)
    I would imagine the models that are double the price of this are really nice too, but this is a great start. With such a good experience with ibanez so far I am also curious about some of their guitars too.

and thanks to @sonojono for some good last minute advice because I was also considering the Epiphone Thunderbird which I think is better as a second bass rather than first. picking between the SR300 and the Thunderbird was kind of driving me nuts for a few days.

Oh the big question is what type of strings are good to try? I have a set of D'Addario Flatwound Medium Light that I'll try first.

sonojono, pcake and equill like this.
  10. Funny thing: I made the same decision about Thunderbird vs SR a while back. Still think I made the right decision.

I like ENR71s on mine - groundwound strings just seem to hit the right middle-ground for me.
    It's sporting ProSteels (EPS165) at the moment, though, because sometimes I also like more liveliness.

11. mrtunes

mrtunes

Jun 26, 2020
    i tried the thunderbird and loved the sound but it was uncomfortable within like a minute. would be hard to improve at an instrument with such discomfort (les paul guitars also dig into the leg like that). will take note of the half-wounds, looks like a good fit for this bass after i make my way through the flat wounds.

sonojono and equill like this.
  12. gigetto

gigetto

Sep 25, 2019
    Italy
    Try d'Addario's Light

13. sonojono

Strings is all personal preference and depending on how they feel on your fretting and playing hand (Some can leave you feeling rough on the finger tips or too light where you think you might break the string) but what I like slapping on my SR’s are listed as follow:

DR Nickel LoRiders
    DR Fatbeams
    Dunlop Super Bright Nickels
    GHS Roundcore Boomers
    GHS Balanced Nickel
    GHS Progressives (coming soon since they’ve discontinued these strings)
    Elixir Steel strings
    Daddario NYXL
    Daddario Pro Steels
    Ernie Ball Cobalt Flatwounds

I’ve tried all these strings and liked each one of them. What I currently have on my two Ibanez’s right now are DR Fatbeams and DR Nickel LoRiders.

Here’s a short video I did years ago on these GHS Progressive strings in an SR650.

14. mrtunes

mrtunes

Jun 26, 2020
    very cool! thanks lots of options here

15. gigetto

gigetto

Sep 25, 2019
    Italy
    D'Addario's or for a beautiful old tone Rotosound swing bass

sonojono likes this.
  16. DTRN

DTRN

May 10, 2019
    Twin Cities, MN

I own 2 Fender PJ's both with jazz necks and 3 Ibby's one of which is the SR650. The SR650 is my go to. Especially when learning a new song. It's as if a luthier measured me like a tailor and came up with the 650 for me. Don't get me wrong though as I love my Fenders.

sonojono likes this.
  17. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i love ibanez basses, fenders and squiers. my go-to used to be an SR500, but now i have several basses i cycle through the most often, all with slim necks - my green mikro, an ibanez mezzo, and my squier bronco. my fender mustang still hurts my shoulder to play, but i'm hanging onto it for now because it sounds so wonderful; i'm hoping for improvement physically.

and i just got a set of fender jazz pickups to put in my other mikro, combining both brands into one bass :D

for my mikros and bronco i usually either use d'addario short scale super light nickels or fender extra light nickels (both rounds). for my mezzo, medium scale d'addario super light nickels.

18. gigetto

gigetto

Sep 25, 2019
    Italy
    Ibanez PJ Reverse is more balanced than regular PJ's

sonojono likes this.
  19. sonojono

So true that I had a set of GHS Balanced Nickels on an SR650 and it sounded amazing. I really enjoyed that specific GHS set on mine :)

20. gigetto

gigetto

Sep 25, 2019
    Italy
    Balanced is string tension all equal on the strings or volume output of each string?