Thoughts on John Doe's playing in X?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Billyzoom, May 3, 2021.

1. Tubehed

Tubehed

Oct 27, 2011
    Ain't Love Grand, from which BHOL comes from, was the first X LP not produced by Ray Manzarek. Michael Wagener was the producer and gave that album the typical slick 80's hair band sound of the time that was the polar opposite of who X were. Ray really understood the band better.

GregC and ElectroVibe like this.
  2. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    Maybe. But the songwriting was a little different too.

Tubehed likes this.
  3. Tubehed

Tubehed

Oct 27, 2011
    Probably a conscious decision on the part of the band, as well, to reach a broader audience. Don't remember why they parted ways with Manzarek. Maybe looking for a way to be more contemporary at the time. Long before the whole punk nostalgia thing.

4. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

More likely label pressure, I would think. That cover of “Wild Thing” always mystified me.
    I saw them a few years ago, they ended up playing in the rain, but Exene hit the merch booth afterward... 9C3C0C6D-2440-4582-B708-7ACA3720BE5D.jpeg

Last edited: May 8, 2021
    GregC, 20GLJazz and Tubehed like this.
  5. Black Out Jazz

Black Out Jazz Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2021
    location is overrated
    I heard the wild thing cover today. Still sucks.

6. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    I'm not a big fan of the band or the genre but my friend took me to one of their shows, and it was fun.

7. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I’ve seen them live five or six times since Billy rejoined about 20 years ago, and they don’t play anything from that album—or See How We Are, for that matter. Strictly the first four, which is fine by me.

Skullie, Tubehed and 20GLJazz like this.
  8. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

They did it as a one-off, for a movie soundtrack, I think. Still, kind of pointless. For its time and and place, the Troggs version is iconic; Hendrix did it as a joke of sorts, but after that it’s just one of those songs that just doesn’t need another go-through, although there was some lame ass one hit wonder British band that did an unexeptional cover of it in the mid-70’s. When X recorded “Soul Kitchen”, that was perfect, with Ray producing, it was like a passing of the torch. Their rendition(with Los Lobos’ David Hildago)of Richard Thompson’s “Shoot Out The Lights” was interesting.
    The original WT is...amusing...

Tubehed likes this.
  9. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    He was the bartender in Road House.

20GLJazz and Joshua like this.
  10. Black Out Jazz

Mar 2, 2021
    location is overrated
    38 years ago I had ahem, an infatuation with Exene. 2de4785ddfd755a2e146cd92ee8409d2.jpg

11. Black Out Jazz

Mar 2, 2021
    location is overrated
    See, she actually could sing...

12. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    The more I learn about the band, the more I respect them. They were very hard working especially in their early days.

20GLJazz likes this.
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021