Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thoughts on Lakland Skyline 44-01

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by no-logic, May 5, 2004.

1. Anyone own one or played one? Thoughts? :bassist:

2. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Well, I've got a 55-01 & love it... what do you wanna know?

3. Thanks for the reply. What do you think of the sound of the pickups? Can they get deep and still retain the punch? Did you compare it to others and if so why did you settle on the Lakland?

4. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I considered quite a few basses prior to deciding on the Lakland. Others I considered were MTD's Kingston Heir 5, MM's Sub 5, or taking my chances w/ any number of used 5 stringers...

I tried 5501 w/ a maple fingerboard, but ultimately choose rosewood. It takes a bit of bite off of it...

IMHO, there's not much subtle about these pups... The only thing I want for, is to swap out the pre for a Bart NTMB...

5. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    I own a 55-01. It's a great all purpose bass. I get some absolutly beautyful tones out mine, with excellent articulation. I use an Aphex Bass Xciter with my ax. It really rounds out the sound. The stock pups are great, which is good because according to Dan Lakin " We do preamp upgrades (to the Bartolini NTMB) for $150. I don't know any other pickups that will fit." Although, I am still investigating that. I believe that Status Graphite makes pickup that will fit. I hope this helps.

6. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    If you'd like to hear one I have a clip posted in the recordings forum. The strings are relatively new D'addario XLs.

7. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Instrument Technician, Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    I have a 5501 Skyline. I bought it as something different from my non-Fender Jazzy 4 string. The pup/preamp combination produces everything from nasty nasal to glass-breaking ping to earthquake. I have found sounds I like for melodic solo-ing and big-ballad anchors. But "punchy" is not one of the descriptions I would use. Overall it sounds a bit processed, and I don't get the feeling that the resonance of the wood of the instrument is a major contributor to the overall sound.

I love the neck profile. I had to adjust the string hold-down, and I took about 2 feet of wire out of the control cavity to reduce hum, but I suspect that the hum problem would not be evident for most players ( I practice in my basement where 6 halogen pots sit about 7 feet above floor level).

For the price, I am happy. But I was unlucky in the weight of the instrument I bought. I cannot stand for a whole evening's performance with this bass. I have found that the weight varies significantly on these basses. Mine is an ash body and is about two pounds heavier that some other ash-bodied Lak's I have played.

8. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Does yours have a rosewood or maple fingerboard? Mine has a maple board, and it is the punchiest bass I own (out of 13). The first time I took it to rehearsal our guitar player commented on how punchy it was.

9. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Yea, I had that conversation w/ Dan Lakin as well, but honestly, I 'm more interesting in the pre swap, than the changing the pups.

10. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I bought a 44-01 fretless about four months ago. I use roundwound strings and some great "mwah" out of it. It sounds good through my rehearsal amp (Behringer BX1200) and sounds great through my stage amp (Mesa M-Pulse 600 w/ two Aguilar GS112's.) The workmanship/quality is excellent and the playability is excellent as well.

11. Fret Boiler

Fret Boiler Pity World

Apr 12, 2004
    Purdue University
    Anyone compare the 44-02 (or 55-02) to the 44-01? What's the big difference? Is it worth the extra $$$?

Thanks

12. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Yea, its all electronics...

the 02 series has the same electronics as the non-skyline Laklands... MM + J pups, & a Bart NTMB pre... where as the 01's have the Bart MK1 soaps & a Fishman pre.

Not having ever played an 02, or a highend Lak, I can't speak from experience, but by accounts of what I've read,,, the 02 nails the sounds of its more expensive cousin...

Now, having talked w/ Dan Lakin on this very topic, he assured me that, the difference in sound,, was primarily the difference in preamps... I was on a specific budget, & based upon his recommendation,, I went w/ an 01 Deluxe,,, w/ the intention that I'd upgrade the pre sometime after...

13. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I've found this too. My 55-01 is heavy and I've read about others that have light ones, so there must me inconsistency in the woods used. But I love the tone of the stock electronics.

14. Excellent feedback guys. Thanks loads. I think I will be ordering the 44-01. Anyone interested in a vintage Ibanez Musician? :bassist:

15. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii

I'm the same way. It was my main gigging bass, but by the 3rd set my back was killing me. So even though it is the bass I would like to play on gigs it stays home and I play a Fender Zone and a Carvin B5 (swamp ash) on gigs, both of which are under 8 pounds. If my back could take it I would never play another bass than the 55-01.

16. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Yeah, the Carvin ash basses are nice and light. Lakland must use a different type of ash. Although, my Skyline sounds killer, my carvin and cirrus are way more comfortable, not only in weight but also body style.

17. pjhandlin

pjhandlin Gold Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I'll echo the opinions stating that the 5501 can be heavy. I've had mine since January, and it is the heaviest bass I've played. I wake up after long gigs the night before noticing a stiff right shoulder. Haven't weighed it yet, but it is heavy.

I'll also say that I am pleased with the tone. I think that the stock preamp/pickup setup is versatile and of good quality. I can really slice and cut with non-harsh clarity if I need to while at the same time provide fat, thick and punchy lows. The preamp seems quite effective at tone shaping where very small adjustments usually do the trick for me.

18. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Instrument Technician, Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto

If anyone is still watching this thread... I sold my heavy 5501 and bought a lighter version of the same. The original was just over 11 pounds, the new one is just over 8. In the course of the cahnge I moved from a rosewood 'board to a maple one. Never liked a maple 'board up to now, but this is a really nice machine.

19. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Cool. I wish my 55-01 was only 8 lbs. A lot of time has passed since my last post, and I'm currently using a G&L L-1000 (8lbs.) for most songs and pulling out the 55-01 on the few songs I need a 5 string for.