1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thoughts on Louis Johnson

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by dbamta, Oct 21, 2013.

1. dbamta

dbamta

Aug 25, 2009
    Maryland
    I have recently began to listen some of the Louis Johnson's early bass playing and wonder what happen to him. I don't hear much from him playing on any sessions.

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    The session scene is nothing close to what it once was, there is a long list of players who's name you don't see as much anymore. Louis will always be in a special class all to himself in my book.:bassist:

3. vdbass

vdbass

Oct 22, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    He pops up every now and then at sessions and trade shows. I wish he would tour with his brother again.
    BTW "Looking Out for #1" album has the best Precision thumping on record. It is a lesson in funk. Quincey Jones had his finger on the funky pulse of musci...Hicka-Burrrr!

4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    My thoughts on LJ? Well, I now know where Flea got his slap approach :bag:

5. dbamta

dbamta

Aug 25, 2009
    Maryland
    If you look at Louis Johnson on any of his early YOUTUBE videos, it appears that he puts more effort and energy into his playing, similar to flea than many of the latest slappers.

6. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Thoughts on Louis Johnson? In my top 5 all time favorite players for sure. The man is a groove monster.

7. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    Tru dat. Plus, I vaguely remember hearing something about Louis semi-retiring a while back to take care of his ailing father...but don't take my word for that, I could be totally mistaken.

8. Hapa

Hapa

Apr 21, 2011
    Tustin, CA
    Louis Johnson is my biggest influence, next to marcus... Sessions, do some more reading he stopped playing to stay in the studio. For Quincy Jones, like for Michael Jackson on Thriller. From the clouds of "I heard one guy say" Lightning licks his brother was more into nose candy than he was and that lone was blurred a few times and things were said that ultimately black balled him from many sessions.
    The SWR workingmans series when it was made by SWR had a lot of influence from LJ. He had his own music school in SoCal which I do not know if it still exists but was very small. He helped out Fender with the Mo' bass. I listened to a DAT with his clips that never went anywhere to promote the head.

Louis used a Gibson Grabber - The pictures were a p-bass but that was a promotional decision. He did use a p-bass later on but the Stingray was made with him in mind and then the sabre proto was made for him by LEO.

9. beebassdude

beebassdude Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA
    love his playing style. never knew a ton about his music or what records he was on but his instructional video was sweet haha!

10. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    The Bros. Johnson discography should be required listening for any bass player that even wants a touch of groove.

[​IMG]

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...never knew about the Gibson Grabber. I have seen/heard him with the P-bass, Alembic (2nd album,Right On Time), & the MM Stingray (3rd album, Blam!)

Other albums to explore-
    Quincy Jones- Mellow Madness
    Quincy Jones- I Heard That!...never been issued as a cd. Some nice R&B/Pop on Side_1...with a bad-ass instrumental jam on Side_2 called "Midnight Soul Patrol"...Louis plays guitar in addition to a bass duel/trading 4s with Stanley Clarke. Alphonso Johnson plays the bass groove.

12. beebassdude

beebassdude Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA
    i do know that flea ripped off his playing style badly haha!

13. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    He's one of the best ever! His discography has just as much fingerstyle as it does slap.

14. bluesbasshound

bluesbasshound

Jan 31, 2006
    Florida
    One of my slap bass influences!
    Like the "thunderthumb"!

15. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    He was a true pioneer in the style. Very few people were playing like him when he broke big.

16. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    No one slaps like LJ!

17. vdbass

vdbass

Oct 22, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    "Louis 'Thunderthumbs' Johnson...now that's a musical genus!' - "Tanya" from "Everybody Hates Chris"

18. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    "Workin' Day And Night" from Michael Jackson's Off The Wall was playing in the gym this morning...holy mother of god, what a stone cold badass groove that is! Louis Johnson on bass, of course.

19. Thumpking

Thumpking

Sep 14, 2010
    All feel, sometimes sloppy, but lovely sloppy that drips emotional technique. Strawberry Letter 23 is one of the reasons I wanted to learn to slap.