1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thoughts on Markbass Blackline 250?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bongostealth, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Do any of you own this amp? If so, what are your thoughts and impressions about it? Sound? Reliability?

2. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    Just bought this recently. The little guy gets loud! Still trying to find a good cabinet for this amp but I'm lovin it so far!
    The ONLY thing I would change would be the Mid controls:

Current frequency centers:
    Bass - 40hz
    Low Mid - 360hz
    Hi Mid - 800hz
    Treble - 10Khz

As you can see, there is a lot of stuff between the Hi Mids and treble. I'd eitehr want the Hi mids frequency raised to around 1500hz-ish or the treble lowered to say, 7000hz ish.

But aside from that minor detail, I love this amp! Really really punchy tone. I've used this and the Little Mark 3 and IMHO, they sound the same! Maybe a little more power from the 3 but the blackline 250 is better than I anticipated. It beat Eden E300, Ampeg pf350, and fender rumble! I say compare it to as many other amps as you can and then make a purchase based on what YOU and you alone think is wise.

I used to be turned off by Markbass due to the nice low mid bump they naturally have, it always sounded muddy to my ears. But then I started playing with other people and recording my stuff and developed an appreciation for the low mids so that worked out nicely.

For what its worth, my setup is a pbass+DR sunbeams (strings subject to change) --> Markbass. For cabs I'm currently looking at a Fender Rumble 4x10 cuz the price is right, 500watts, and 4ohms. What could possibly be bad about that?

mattpbass, Jnagol and bongostealth like this.
  3. Some people say the Markbass stuff is really transparent. Do you concur?

jamersonburton likes this.
  4. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    Kinda, it's hard to tell whether the low mid bump is more from the amp or the pbass. However, every markbass I have ever played seems to produce the tone from my bass/fingers rather than the amp so, yes, it is fairly transparent.

Still trying to find a 4ohm cab though (not enough space for 2 8ohmers) since I want to utilize the full power of this amp. The search continues.

Jnagol likes this.
  5. I find it to be clean and simple. That may not be what some want, but considering the soundman will make you sound the way he wants you to sound, then have a clean sound. What strikes me (in a good way) is that the 250 watts @ 4 ohms is louder than an Ashdown 300 watter (played thru the same 2x12 cab). When Markbass says something is a certain wattage - you can believe it. Too many other makers bs us on true wattage.