Thoughts on messenger bags?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tplyons, Jul 8, 2008.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I ride a bicycle, I ride a motorcycle, and while backpacks are an option, they're just plain overkill. I'm looking into a messenger bag from timbuk2.com.

What are your thoughts on these man purses?

2. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    I used to have one that I used for my laptop/ books, but I ended up really hating it after awhile and getting a nice backpack with a laptop compartment, much better imo, but I also have a lot of friends that use messenger bags.
    Edit: It would probably be helpful for me to say why I didn't like it..haha. I got tired of having to stuff it full of my crap when I would have 3-4 classes in a row. For my schedule that semester, it just made more sense for me to have a backpack, and I ended up giving the bag away to one of my roommates. I guess just keep in mind how much you'll want/ need to carry in it.

3. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Well, I suppose if you could fit your balls in there too it would be alright. :spit:

:D Just kidding. There alright for books, sheet music and whatnot, so I suppose you could carry any other thing in there.

4. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I like them but boy do you catch crap!!!!!

5. syciprider

syciprider Inactive

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Messenger bags flop around when the riding gets frantic (like when you start jumping park benches and riding down stairs and stuff). Sure you can get a waist strap but then at that point, you are just saying that you really need a backpack.

6. I wouldn't wear one on a motorcycle.

lowsound

7. As long as its tasteful.

Don't go buying floral patterns on us.:smug:

8. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I've been using them (while riding a bicycle) for years. The very best one I've tried was by a small maker called ReLoad; that bag has been through absolute hell- run over by a truck, glaring sun, blizzards, etc. etc. and it's still kicking. Custom made, too, so it has the same cool factor as a custom bass. Zo Bags are the king in San Francisco, you can't really go wrong with a Zo, but I liked the ReLoad better. Timbuk2 bags are OK but they really do get more into "man purse" territory, and the buckles and parts are on the flimsy side.

I have found that messenger bags are not great for just walking around, and even while riding they can suck if you have something heavy in there like a few books. The bag will swing around under your arm and throw you off balance and interfere with your legs while pedaling. IOW if you anticipate just using it like a man purse, there are better bags for that; and if you anticipate hauling multiple cans of soup and jars of applesauce and hardback textbooks, you're better off with panniers. But for less extreme loads, while actually riding, they're great.

9. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
  10. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Far superior to the backpack IMO.

Those Timbuk2 ones are far from purse-looking too. They are kind of that Teva-and-Subaru-guy look.

11. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Well, I hear they're stain resistant, which helps, because those lines at Starbucks can get pretty hectic.:p

12. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
  13. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Oh, please don't say that. I rock a canvass messenger bag (or as my friends call it, a "socially-acceptable man-purse), and I really hate to think that I'm a Teva-and-Subaru kind of guy...

Keep it non-descript. Mine holds my ipod, whatever books I'm reading, note-pad, pen and miscellaneous other stuff that I need to put in it. But then I walk and take public transit. Having one of those on a bike or motorcycle could get a bit unweidly...

14. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    You have to ask yourself the question: Will this messenger bag get me laid?? Of course, if you're riding the bicycle, it's kind of a moot question anyway................

Go for it!

15. Scarlet Fire

Scarlet Fire

Mar 31, 2007
    New England
    In my experience, it's only older guys (30+) that think messenger bags are a big no-no for guys. All the people in their 20s and younger love them.

That being said, it all depends on how much I have to carry. If it's a fairly light load (laptop and a notebook), then I go for the messenger bag. Anything more and I break out a backpack.

16. JmJ

JmJ

Jan 1, 2008
    NYC
    Best messenger bags can be found here: http://www.manhattanportage.com/
    The big messenger bag they have has a rubber lining to help keep stuff dry.
    However the straps are kind of long and may whip in the wind on your motorcycle.

17. Lorenzini

Lorenzini Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Messenger bags are great, and if you wear one that fits you well, it won't be dangerous on a bike (motorcycle).
    I currently have a good backpack that is comfortable to wear on my bike so I won't be needing a messenger bag anytime soon, but if I had nothing right now I'd buy a messenger bag.

18. i got a canvas-y one that i randomly alternate with my backpack whenever i gotta carry stuff... works fine tho

19. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021