Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thoughts on MIM Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Las Olas, May 13, 2003.

1. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Hey guys, anyone play a Mexican Jazz? I'm looking at a fretless one, and wondered if you had any advice or tales to share? Pros and Cons?

Regards

LA

2. MIM Jazzes are some of the most versatile basses around, cant be used from metal to jazz. Though one thing, make sure you play a number of them, as the consistency is not always the best.

Though, dude, this subject has been done a lot on these boards, so just do a search for 'MIM Jazz' and you will find shedloads of stuff.

Welcome to TB :D

3. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK

what a nice welcome

Great forum by the way, I'm a regular at MX but it just cant compete with the number of seasoned veterans here.

Regards

LA

4. Well, I don´t own one, but I have played it several times!
    It is very heavy in comparision to myMTD, but the range of different types of sound is more far more extensive.
    Keep in mind that this can be also a disadvantage, but still I´m thinking of buying me myself one.

5. BONZOBASS

BONZOBASS

May 7, 2003
    i own a 97 mex j/bass and am looking to up-grade to a 62 japanese re-issue jazz,i would spend the exta 200.00$ if i were you and get a japanese model,or for 350.00$ give or take get a used japanese model,the difference in quality from the mex is w/ out equal, they blow away the mex's by a long shot ! if you doubt me go play one then play a mex and you be the judge:D i wish someone told me about this before i bought my mex even though i got it for 200.00$on ebay practically brand new,dont get me wrong they are decent basses and are worth the money but why settle for second best? i have all my basses in the same room and my mex needs monthly neck adjustments while my others dont. COINCEDENCE ? I THINK NOT ! LOL PEACE AND GOOD LUCK;)

6. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I think the '62 jazz has a warmer sound.. because the pickup isn't as close to the bridge

7. There is a used MIJ fretless Jazz (they have unlined fingerboards) in the harmony-central classified pages for $250. If I recall correctly, it may have aftermarket pups and/or a wiring mod but that's still a good price. Not to badmouth MIM's, but MIJ's are generally much better instruments.

8. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I own a 1998 mim lined fretless jazz. I put a set of seymore duncan active basslines in it. I did not like the factory pick up's. I have had no trouble with the bass at all, I had the truss rod set,when I installed the pick up's and the roto sound rs66 strings. I can dial in a great jaco sound, or use it to play sting/police songs. I have dragged that bass all over the place, and everyone always wants to buy it off me.I bought it at a scratch-n-dent sale
    for $250.00. I would recomend it. but see if you can
    beat the store down on price, or have them throw in a fender gig bag, or strings or a strap or something, dont let them jack you, they are all hurting for sales.:smug:

9. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I got one about 3 weeks ago, and let me tell you, it owns.

The tones i can get are just mind blowing.

It is a MIM Fender Deluxe J with active PUP's. I got it brand new at geetar center for $360 bucks.

They are the best bass in their league, no questions asked.

10. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Quote from mike:I got one about 3 weeks ago, and let me tell you, it owns.

The tones i can get are just mind blowing.

It is a MIM Fender Deluxe J with active PUP's. I got it brand new at geetar center for $360 bucks.

They are the best bass in their league, no questions asked.

I was not aware that fender makes a fretless in the deluxe series ? Is it fretless ?:)

11. SoLoW

SoLoW

May 6, 2003
    Texas
    I've had a MIM Jazz for some time and it's awesome. I bought a new bass 2 times the price of the Fender and ended up selling it cause it wasn't crap compared to the Jazz bass. I plan on keeping it forever.

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    although i just got a warwick 6-string, my mim jazz will still be my main tool.

the only mods i have done to it are a baddass II bridge, hipshot d-tuner and bartolini dual coils - this bass sounds like a million bucks.

although a fodera is what i would love to have, it won't get me any more money for a gig, trust me.

just watch out for your buy, they are not very consistent

in my humble opinion, best $300 you can spend for a very versatile instrument

13. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Eh... no... it is fretted... where did you get the fretless idea?

if you looked at my profile and saw fretless, that is my fretless p i was talking about.

14. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Quote from las olas: Hey guys, anyone play a Mexican Jazz? I'm looking at a fretless one, and wondered if you had any advice or tales to share? Pros and Cons?

This is where i got the fretless thing.

:)
    I wish they made a deluxe fretless, that would be
    one i would buy. I know what your saying on the "tone", i also own a mim deluxe 5 string.:)

15. aaron f.

aaron f.

Oct 21, 2000
    Manitoba
    I've been using a fretted MIM fender jazz for two and a half years. Great instrument, just make sure you try out several before making a decision. I upgraded mine with a Badass bridge and Barts and it kills. I play in an experimental/industrial/hard rock band but it can do so much more. It is heavy but I prefer heavy basses even though I'm a fairly thin guy, that way it feels like i'm holding something solid, I actually don't like playing light basses, i guess it's kinda strange.

16. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    The few MIM Jazz Fretless basses i've played i liked. I have a '97 [fretted] MIM Jazz that was my first bass-hasn't had a major breakdown yet, but what can you expect it's built solid and is passive :D I'd check them out and consider other styles of fretless 4 in that range. Thats all

17. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    LA,
    I just purchased a MIM Jazz Deluxe 4 string. My other basses are 5-strings and I just wanted a 4 to play around with (plus I hadn't owned a Fender since the late 70's and thought it would be nice to have a jazz to play). I was pleasantly suprised with the quality and the sound. I looked specificaly for a Jazz deluxe because the body is made of alder and it has the USA active electronics & PU's. Most of the MIM bass bodies are made of popular and IMO don't sound as nice. I did replace the bridge with an ABM mainly to eliminate any rattles & because I don't like feed thru bridges (the ABM is top load). The ABM bridge seemed also to help tighten up the sound of the bass (looks cool too!). I do agree with others that stated that it's a good idea to be able to choose from several. The overall quality seems to very consistant but some do set up much better and differ slightly in sound/tone. I honestly can't say that the Japan basses are of a better quality. Maybe several years ago but not now. Based on what I've seen lately, I think the quality (not choice of woods and hardware) of MIM basses is equal to USA made instruments. It certainly a lot better than the instruments Fender was putting out in the early 70's!

18. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Thanks for all your helpful replies! I've decided not to get it, mainly because the horrible white pickguard wont come off [well, it will but there is routing underneath] , and I dont really want to replace it, I'd rather lose it completely. Also, the electronics arent as good, and I'm in a bad area for music shops.

Thanks for everything

Las Olas

19. aaron f.

aaron f.

Oct 21, 2000
    Manitoba
    why not spray paint the pick guard and then give it a coat of sealer. Thats what I did, looks great and lasts!

20. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

I hears ya!:)