1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

thoughts on music gear than may cause cancer

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Unemploid, Mar 7, 2016.

1. image. this image is in the back of a live wire qmmaqmm 1/4" audio adapter, i bought today at guitar center. last time at sam ash, i saw a fender cab with a sticker that said it contain chemicals that cause cancer. is cancer chemicals a china product thing or is their no avoiding it. what's your opinion?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Look around...you'll find the Prop 65 warning EVERYWHERE!

3. Um, according to the State of California EVERYTHING causes cancer. Almost every consumer product I see in a store has that label on it. Which, of course, makes it completely useless. So don't worry about it. If you're worried about dangerous chemicals, don't rely on he State of California to steer you right, research it from a source that makes more sense.

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Studies show proper capitalization, grammar and spelling can promote general good health and well being.

5. Michael B

Michael B

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    Definitely don't cut the stuff up and eat it. Don't set it on fire either. I bet that would bring the carcinogens to life.

With those labels on so many things I wonder if it is illegal to throw anything away.

Shortie and Charlzm like this.
  6. Citation, please.

7. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    ruh roh, raggy! i only capitalize when absolutely necessary. my grammar and spelling are pretty decent, so hopefully i'll still have general good health and well being...

8. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    Is there anything that hasn't been found to cause cancer in California ?
    I bought some plywood that said it produced wood dust found to cause cancer by the state of California. Give. me. a. break.

Shortie and wmhill like this.
  9. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    I think California must cause cancer...

10. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Beat me to it.

11. Big Hoss

Big Hoss Up note, down note, blue note, brown note...

I dare you to find a manufactured product that doesn't have a prop 64 warning label. The overwhelming majority of products contain some chemical that the state of California thinks causes cancer. Mind you, in the just so right clinical environments both water and oxygen are known to cause or contribute to cancer.

I have always found the vague and sensationalistic verbage of the prop 65 warnings to be boy crying wolf...

If there is .0000001 % chance of this contributing to, or causing cancer, chances are I don't need to be warned. If the chances are considerably higher, like 1% or so... you might want to say there is a slight cancer risk with this product. At about the 25% point the warning level ought to go up and so on up until it reads...

This product is a known carcinogen. Exposure to this product should be undertaken only by those with a slow painful death wish.

12. Big Hoss

With wood dust I would be FAR more concerned about the risks of severe, and life threatening allergic reactions, particularly with dark nut bearing woods like Walnut. Luthiers and other woodworkers spend a considerable amount of time, and money managing the wood dust in their shops for good reason!

13. Recent studies showed that spell check is one of the leading causes of cancer in the USA... which, of course, would explain why nobody uses it.

14. Big Hoss

Are you saying the State of California makes no sense?

Spectrum, TinIndian, DOMIT and 3 others like this.
  15. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    No contest big Hoss. I lived my life up to my eyeballs in wood dust and have a friend who can't work with cedar.
    The key to my largely tongue in cheek comment is in your answer, people with a brain can recognize occupational or health risks and act accordingly, and should, especially if they are employers.
    That's all.
    California is just way over the top on regulation IMHO, feel free to disagree.

16. This is actually kind of funny, when you're not on the receiving end of it.

To the OP, everything gives you cancer, especially in California. Even the sun is brighter there. I remember standing out on the pier in Long Beach & watching the ocean evaporate into the sky. You could see the vapor going upward.
    I think it 110F (44C) that day.

17. Michael B

Michael B

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    Well as fun as it is to bash CA, people are getting cancer a lot.

alaskaleftybass and Charlzm like this.
  18. Almost all items have that warning on it.
    Check around your house, the furniture , all electronics, the phone and computer you touch every day has that in the paperwork that came with it.
    I read it recently on a bag of potato chips. If the chip burns that burned chip might give you cancer according to California.
    They are covering their butts from a lawsuit in the future.
    Just stay out of California so nothing can harm you.

mrokern and elgecko like this.
  19. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Think about this. The sun...the thing on which ALL life on earth depends and could not exist without, will give you cancer. :atoz:

OldDog52, Spectrum, L Anthony and 7 others like this.
  20. TripleDouble

TripleDouble Guest

Aug 5, 2008
    Not to mention that life causes inevitable death. Man, I am so deep. Don't eat the thing and you'll probably be cool. For a while.

Spectrum, TonyP-, Shortie and 2 others like this.