Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thoughts on Musician's Friend?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 70hemicuda, Nov 27, 2003.

1. What are your thought on Musician's Friend? I'm GAS'n for a 5 string bass right now and the Platinum membership is pretty tempting to try for. I would appreciate any details on the Platinum membership (other than whats on the site) or any other little tidbits you may have. Thanks tons :D

'Cuda

2. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i can say nothing bad about them

3. i ordered my first bass from em (mim fender jazz) and must say, no problems. havent had to use the customer service so im not sure how that is. only bad thing bout my dealings with them was that my bass was on back order :(

4. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    I ordered my Ibanez on there, a lot of strings, some lemon oil/cleaner, stand, gig bag. I've never had a problem. The only thing was my fault though. There wasn't enough money in the bank when I ordered my bass. But they HELPED ME through it ;):D

5. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I have always been satisfied with MF. Got an MIA P Bass and alot of other stuff. Do a search, they get mixed reviews.

6. check out Bizrate.com--it has thousands of reviews of Musicians Friend, Music 123, Zzounds, etc.

7. bassic1959

bassic1959

Jan 16, 2003
    Hi, I bought a bass from them and it arrived with damage from UPS. They were very helpful and promptly sent me a new one. I would use them again.

8. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Nothing but great service from them. I bought my V drum set from them. They had the best price and delivered it within 5 days of me ordering it. The Platinum Membership is awesome. Monthly payments are super low, but the interest rate is a tad high.

9. I've had great succes with MF. I have found it is much better to place the order by phone than online. If you call it in there is some room for negotiating. Especially on shipping. I've had MF waive shipping on many items.
    It's also good to play Music 123 off of MF as well.

10. thanks for all of your help guys. I've read stuff on here with mixed reviews and my band director won't buy from them at all (dunno why...)so I figured I would get a few more opinions before I got serious. Thanks again :D

'Cuda

11. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    I just re-read every review on here, and there is not one negative one :confused: :oops:

12. I could have sworn I read a few negatives but even so, the good outweighs the bad like a million to one. I guess its just my band directors attempts at brainwashing me into buying from the shop she used to work at instead of buying offline :spit: oh well, now if I can just figure out how much of a change goin from a Jazz bass to a Conklin GT-5 would be :)

'Cuda

13. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I've never had a problem with ordering from MF. It all has been smaller stuff. (strings, straps, chords, effects pedals, ect.) My father once ordered 10 inch Pa cabinets. This was when they were changing warehouses and all the orders were getting messed up. It took him 6 months to get them, but to make up for it, they sent him 12 inch cabs for FREE! Pretty cool if you ask me.

14. Armchair Thief

Armchair Thief Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    I order small stuff from them (strings, pedals) and I really have nothing to complain about. Shipment has always been speedy for me too (using just regular shipping.)

15. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Yeah man, the last set of strings I ordered were with standard shipping. And I got them 2 days later!

16. Good experiences. If they send you a defective product, they'll pay your shipping. You have FORTY-FIVE days to exchange.

Music 123, not as good, but still good enough.

Those are the biggies. The other mail order companies have smaller selections, particularly on the high-end.

17. i've had pretty good experience with them. it usually takes a bit longer for stuff to arrive than they say, but i'm not talking months and months or anything. and once i got a damaged product from them (an amp; the box had been kicked in or something and the grill had a hole in it) and they replaced it within a week or so.

18. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've bought many things from them. They're a decent retail outfit. If you're talking low to mid priced basses, you should also try BassNW, Bass Central, Samedaymusic, music 123, and Zsounds. High end basses are another story.

Good luck and may you find a good deal!

19. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I like musicians friend. Ordering is simple, and shipping is usually real quick.

My only problem with them is the search function on the website. No matter what category you're in (guitar, bass, etc.), the results come up for the entire website, and the sorting of the results is also kinda crappy. So, it's kind of a pain if you have a general search term, but otherwise it's great.

20. I do a lot of mail ordering (not just music) b/c I live in a state with high sales tax.

Most of mail order outfits will give you optimistic delivery dates, whether they sell musical instruments or washing machines.

Zzounds and SameDayMusic appear to be the same company with two different (but similar) websites. They're both in NJ, they both carry the same gear, and they both have the same prices.

The bass boutiques like BassNW and BassCentral, are much, much smaller outfits than MF and 123.