1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thoughts on my custom bass?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Jeronimofesto, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Jeronimofesto

Jeronimofesto Luthier: JC Basses

Oct 17, 2006
    Auburn, CA
    Here are the specs:

6 string fretted
    Padauk body
    Padauk fretboard
    Wenge neck-through
    Dual humbucking pickups
    Hipshot bridge
    Hipshot tuners
    Volume, tone, blend knobs
    Series/split/parallel switch for each pickup

[​IMG]

If you want to see the steps it took to build it, go to http://www.jcbasses.com/ under the progress blog section. It is the 6 String Black Widow. Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

-Jared

2. Giel

Giel

Sep 9, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Looking great man!
    Padauk is one my favourite woods, and I love the way it smells..
    How does it sound? Some sound clips would be nice :)

3. Jeronimofesto

Oct 17, 2006
    Auburn, CA
    Oh yes it smells so good when you cut it. Almost as good as burning bubinga... yum. I still have to connect a few wires before it is totally done, but so far it sounds really loud and hot. Plenty of low end as well as midrange and high end. I'll get a sound clip up soon though.

4. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Looks like a great bass but i would be a little worried putting it under that river setup. :eek:

5. Jeronimofesto

Oct 17, 2006
    Auburn, CA
    Haha, that is what everyone says. It's actually not that close to the water, the angle just makes it seem that way.

6. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    Looking pretty sweet! Seems a bit heavy though...

What's the scale on that thing, it looks a bit short. Or is it because the bridge is not at the end of the body, it looks a bit more like a guitar than a bass?

7. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I haven't posted anything in your thread on MF (I'm Low_End_Communications there), but this looks pretty good.

My only gripe is that the butt of the bass (bottom, past the bridge), is really long. Looks almost proportional to a Les Paul geetar. Only if the upper horn came to the 12th fret would I go for it.

Would you post the plans for your other basses on here? I'd love to see what you're doing, as I'm sort of interested in a cheapish custom headless.

8. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - PerĂº
    I like it a lot ...but I wouldn't put it there. It won't be as close to the water as it looks but 1. It can slip into it and 2. rocks are usually not too good to bass finish!!!

9. Jeronimofesto

Oct 17, 2006
    Auburn, CA
    It's a 35" scale if I remember correctly. It was originally going to be a 36" scale, so that it why there is the extra wood at the bottom.

My next one will be for Tryxx, he has a thread here about how to get the drawing drawn to scale. That has a picture that he drew of what he wants. A single cut with a "handle" 4 string fretless. Once I start on it I'll be doing a progress blog like I did for this one on my site.

I'm glad you guys are looking out for the bass, but I did put little pads under the bass where it came in contact with the rocks. So it's all good.

10. I like it, the padauk has some nice grain and the pickup placement is interesting....almost like a quad MM.

11. tjclem

tjclem Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Sharp looking is it about 13-14lb? Did you find a gig bag to fit it? i have some Padauk I thought it was dangerous to inhale or did I hear wrong?

12. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    Padauk and wenge, my two favorite woods, making up an entire bass...

You are my hero.

13. pilotjones

pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Beautiful. Kind of long on the bottom, which probably pushes out the nut too far to the left for me, and makes it heavy, but nice. Padauk and wenge all the way! (Although I wish padauk didn't fade.)

14. looks good, I don't care what pads it had, but I would never put a bass over a waterfall like that

15. Jeronimofesto

Oct 17, 2006
    Auburn, CA
    13 lbs. exactly. Kind of heavy I suppose. It fits fine in my Warwick gigbag, though a custom made hard case is a must. I hope its not dangerous to inhale, it will be dead soon if it is.:eek:

16. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Pretty - but heavy!

17. mahrous

mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Egypt
    nah Padauk isnt dangerous to inhale. i have build several basses, necks and more than half of my fretboards of it. its an extremely nasty nasal and lungs irritant though. but i have never read or heard that it is toxic (unlike cocobolo and others).

the bass looks very sweet!
    i will be on the look out for the sound clips. want to see how it compares to some of my padauks.

18. Jeronimofesto

Oct 17, 2006
    Auburn, CA
    There is a sound clip up on my site of a different bass I made out of padauk if you want to check it out.

19. Like is said over at MX, looks great. Can't wait to see your next one.

lowsound