Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thoughts on my two new Aguilar GS 112 cabs.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flat Bass, Sep 6, 2003.

1. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    I got a great deal on two of them so I decided to go with them. Played a gig with em last night and the cabs sound great. Big low end compared to my Bag End 15 cabs. I found myself missing a little definition and mirange punch though while playing in the band setting. Did not notice that while playing byt myself though. I am going to try my SWR SM-900 on them tonight with my 4 Jazz and see if that helps. I was using my WT-400 and R bass 5 last night. But they are very portable and look very cool too. Let me know what you guys thought about the definition and mirange punch.

2. Why don't you try one (or both) of your 112s with the bag end 15? I hear they're pretty "punchy" for a 15...

3. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    you beat me to it. I was gonna suggest the same thing

4. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    OK I tried the SWR SM900 with em last night. Wow what a difference. But I figured out what the whole problem was to begin with. It is not high enough when it is stacked. It only comes to right below your waist so your ears do not get to hear the clarity. If you lean down in front of it it sounds like a million $. So I think I am going to install a thing like EA does on some of their cabs to prop up the front/bottom a couple of inches to throw the sound up to my ears instead of the back of my knees. But man these cabs are the best I have found yet. They kill my Bag End cabs. Does anyoneknow what those things are that prop up the cab?

5. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    if you were to build a small, sealed, binder-shaped ramp, you may still be able to get some nice coupling with whatever your stage is rather than attaching anything permanently to the bottom. maybe do it so that putting it on each side will give you a different angle? :cool:

6. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I stack my GS-112's the tall way so the tweeter is at the top of each cab. it gets the tweeter upto 36" height. and positioning the indentation of my xrack over the handle I avoid the teeter totter effect!

pictures soon

7. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    I don't know. The 'tilt-back' thing kind of scares me. I also like to place my bass in its stand on top of my SKB which is on top of my GS 112's. I am looking to build a raised base platform, up to 12" tall, 1" lipped edges to hold in the cab, and foam filled underneath to dampen vibration. As soon as my garage gets re-done I'll get on the project, post picks, mass produce the product, make a fortune, quit my day job, and live happily everafter playing bass all day.:D

8. I've been side stacking my GS112's too. Helps get the sound closer to ear level. It looks kinda funny when I stack my rack side ways on top, too. A skinny mini bass rig.

9. You may want to try de-coupling. (Auralex Gramma)
    Although many players have used the coupling method for many many years, there is something about decoupling that brings the "focus" of the bass and rig to life. You can always add more bass tone if you notice it dying on you. It's worth a shot espescially since the Ag 112's are famous for the bottome end. I have Berg 112 which are of less bottom at least compared to the tuning of the Ag and my sound is superb, plenty of low booty. I will say that decoupling is not for every situation or cab for that matter, but worth a try. I got mine for thirty five bucks. Would not leave home without it....

10. vlad335

vlad335 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    Try stacking your rig on a band case. I used to put my 4-10 on a large anvil case getting it up off the floor. Looked pretty good too.

11. Yep, that would work, but think about all the different wierd noises that jump out of everywhere when you hit your bass. Have your drummer shut off his snare beads and hit some notes. Man, you hear all kinds of things. To me the clarity = focus I mentioned. The Gramma Pad as such totally elimiates anything that at least comes from the cab. I've used crates, boxes, Anvil cases, chairs, carpets, yadda yadda...and none of them equal the Gramma. I don't work for them or own any stock either. :)

12. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    because of my back my GS-112's have NEVER been in my house since I bought them almost two weeks ago. When I finially got them home yesterday I thought they'd be boomy in my living room like my two swr bass monitor 12's were, but the gs-112's sounded great.

my brother saw my new cabs for the first time and said "I didn't know she had a line of bass speakers!" and I'm like "what?", and he said "Christina?!", "oh, haha" thought I'd share.

13. That's funny, because I call one of my cabs Christina.:meh: