1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thoughts on New Opeth?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by HeavyAxe, Jun 30, 2014.

1. HeavyAxe

HeavyAxe

Jul 16, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    Hey folks! Just noticed no one put anything up about Opeth's new single being released. Personally, I certainly didn't mind the track but It didn't wow me either. I'm optimistic for the new album however, I think it will have some great prog pieces. Then again, I am a guy who actually liked Heritage so I may be in the minority. And yes, I do miss Mikael's growls, but I'd rather him not growl at all then just try and force them in. So yes, leave comments on the new song and your thoughts on the upcoming album, 'Pale Communion.'

2. HeavyAxe

HeavyAxe

Jul 16, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    Oh, and here's another leaked song which I really love!

3. Granted, I've never been really big into Opeth past really enjoying tracks like Black Rose Immortal and maybe a couple others, but after only listening to that first track I'm definitely still far from "won over." I respect Mikael but that just felt super bland.

I will admit I do have a bit of an unfair grudge against them as I used to know this total doucher that touted them as the greatest band ever, who I will always associate with the band and will always ruin them for me.

4. HeavyAxe

HeavyAxe

Jul 16, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    Ooh, I hate that too man. That was like Mastodon for me. This dude built them up so much that when I listened to them I was disappointed. I don't mind Mastodon, I'm just more into death/black metal, don't really love sludge. And yes, Black Rose Immortal is killer! I love on the earlier albums how his growls were a bit higher and sometimes a little 'black metal' sounding. Still love Opeth though, even this new stuff!

5. I am Soma

I am Soma Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2013
    MN
    I will alsways miss Blackwater'esque Opeth but I also really dig the last album and the two new songs. When bands I love start going a different direction it just takes multple listens for me to really fall in love. I hear people say he doesn't have a good clean voice, but man I think he sounds great!

6. HeavyAxe

HeavyAxe

Jul 16, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    I think Axenrot is really going to shine on this album, definitely if theres some heavier pieces. And of course Mendez will be holding down the bottom end perfectly.

7. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    Yes please. Cusp of Eternity reminded me of Zeppelin circa Houses of the Holy, albeit with a baritone singer.

8. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Having fun yet? Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Mt Vernon, NY
    I always heard of Opeth but never checked them out before. I listened to both songs and I like it. I guess I will be checking out some more of their stuff on YouTube tonight. Its always great to discover new music that you dig. Going times!!!

9. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    I like that they're getting proggier.

I just wish they were getting heavier too.

IMO the greatness of the band is the seamless melding of the two sides. Developing one to the stagnation of the other is just a waste.

I would probably quit the band if I was in it.

And honestly Akerfeldt's death growl is probably my FAVORITE growl in the history of the style - so deep and textured. Such a shame that it's gone... Again, it just seems like a waste of potential.

My hope is that one day they'll realize these things and the album they release to mark their return to form will be the greatest progressive metal album of all time.

10. Chriso21

Chriso21

Jan 15, 2006
    Fort Worth Texas
  11. HeavyAxe

HeavyAxe

Jul 16, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    There is some heavy songs, just not in the way Opeth have done in the past. I could be like all the other douches and have a big spiel about 'dynamics' and 'feel' but I thinks its better to just listen and take it in. The 'heaviness' in my mind is more like that of those early prog bands, which we all know Mikael obsesses over. But there's some sorta Blackmore-ish stuff in there too! I really like the album. Can't decide if I like it more than Heritage though. Don't think Still Life will ever be beaten though...but thats cool.

12. tink9975

tink9975

Aug 10, 2006
    MoCo, MD
    I need to give the album a good listening before passing judgement, but so far I am unimpressed. Heritage was good, and live it was even better. The live show I saw was extremely heavy, even with clean vocals. (having Bloodbath as the encore didnt hurt either, since Katatonia was opening)

13. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    Hello! I know this thread is old, but I can't resist commenting my thoughts.

I love Pale Communion, it's my favourite album of theirs. And I still do love their heavier stuff, but I think it's wonderful we see this whole new side of them. I do wish they could make their albums slightly heavier though.

Mikael's growls are fantastic, but I think he has one on the best clean voices as well, and I much prefer that.