Thoughts on Nordstroms 3 band Preamp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by LowMax, Sep 19, 2019.

1. LowMax

LowMax

Jul 28, 2018
    Central California
    I have an Ibanez Cerro 5 string and I'm swapping the Barts that are in it with Nordy Big Singles. I'm also thinking of replacing the preamp with a Nordstrom 3 band preamp. Anyone have any thoughts on the quality of sound from this preamp or the combination of this preamp with those pickups? I tried to google reviews but couldnt find any for the Nordstrom preamps.

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

3. LowMax

LowMax

Jul 28, 2018
    Central California
    Thanks but I already know where to find them. I'm looking for thoughts on how good the preamps are.

mikeswals likes this.
  4. MaxSpinrun

MaxSpinrun Gold Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Knoxville, Tn
    AEF6AE26-F696-4592-A3EC-F687125432C6.jpeg Can’t help with the preamp, but I did put Big Singles in my bass and they are awesome. Very lively and aggressive.

maurilio likes this.
  5. Pedalnetics

Pedalnetics Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 11, 2016
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Pedalnetics
    He was trying to point out you were spelling it wrong, hence the bolded letters...there's tons of reviews of the correctly spelled preamps :)

6. LowMax

LowMax

Jul 28, 2018
    Central California
    Lol yeah I was finding the right thing when I was googling it but I couldn't get any solid reviews on the preamps particularly.

Sonicblaze likes this.
  7. LowMax

LowMax

Jul 28, 2018
    Central California
    Thanks about the heads up on the pickups. I've heard nothing but great things about them in particular. Now I'm trying to see what people's thoughts are about that 3 band preamp that they offer.

8. ctmullins

ctmullins Dominated Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
  9. ctmullins

ctmullins Dominated Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Additionally, any wisdom shared in this thread will not be included in future search results when the next person has the same question.

Consider updating your thread title?

mcnach, MYLOWFREQ and Killed_by_Death like this.
  10. LowMax

LowMax

Jul 28, 2018
    Central California
    ctmullins and mcnach like this.
  11. BobKos

BobKos

Apr 13, 2007
    The musical instrument dept at Nordstrom's sucks. I wouldn't buy a preamp branded by them. But the service in their clothing department is great and I recommend it highly.

For the OP - Nordstrand is VERY reachable. Like Nordstrom's mentioned above, their customer service is GREAT. If you reach out to them with your ideas and goals for your tone, they are VERY capable of helping you. I have a Nordstrand 2 band in a Jazz Bass with Jazz Blades. It sounds great but I think I miss the mid control. Probably because I'm used to having it. Your needs will be different than mine and even different instruments will sound different if equipped with the same electronics.

Suffice to say that Nordstrand makes great electronics. If you fly blind it may take you a couple shots at getting the tone you want. But eventually you will find something from them that you absolutely LOVE. If you call or e-mail them (yes - they DO e-mail unlike many companies) you will have a MUCH better chance at success the first round. If you go at it on your own, do the pups first and see where you end up. It will give you a sense of what you need to get from your preamp. Or you may be quite happy with the tone from your existing pre with the Big Singles alone.

FWIW - in a Bart BC sized pup I like the Big Splits - almost as agressive as the single with no noise. Also - make sure off the shelf Big Singles will fit your routes. I recall Ibanez spec'd wider routes and custom pup housings for their basses. My SR500 pups are about 8mm longer and 4mm wider than a standard BC sized Big Single. There are Ibanez spec Big Singles in the used market that may be a better match for your bass if the BCs don't fit right.

12. Thread title remains with incorrect brand reference...:woot: :thumbsup:

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  13. roller

roller Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Hahaha... the music department is way better there than over at Bartle Lee Knee's. :roflmao:

ctmullins likes this.
  14. neddyrow

neddyrow www.simmerinstew.com Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    i have a tom clement 6-string bass with nordstrand jazz pickups. i opted for the 2-band stacked knob to minimize the number of knobs on the beautiful walnut top. i was very surprised at how much control i had with just the one stacked knob.

15. And I

And I

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    I have a nordstrand 3b-4a in my Harley Benton p/mm. Definitely an upgrade over the stock pre. The eq is not over the top, you can use the full range of the knob and it stays musical and only at the most extreme boost settings does it get to be too much. I might even call it subtle. I use it for a little bump at 1k or sometimes some cut at 400, maybe roll off the treble a teeny. And when I use just the P pickup I'll put it in passive mode.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  16. skyline_01

skyline_01 Endorsing artist: Nordstrand Audio, Tsunami Cables

Nov 14, 2006
    Lebanon, OH
    Nordstrand is top-quality gear that is made and supported by top-quality people (and I'm NOT just saying that bc I'm an endorser - I knew they were awesome before that).

I have a SUB/Stingray "hybrid" bass (SBMM SUB body, EBMM US Stingray fretless neck) that I upgraded with a Nord 2b-3a preamp and MM 4.2 pickup a while back. It sounds like a completely different bass - smooth tone from bottom to top and noise-free operation. Although I don't have experience with their 3-band yet I can highly recommend the preamps overall.

17. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    The Nordstrand preamps are great. Think of the three-band preamp version as a sort of Sadowsky with a mid control and ability to both boost and cut.

4StringTheorist likes this.
  18. JeroB666

JeroB666

Dec 22, 2012
    Canada
  19. grinx

grinx

Mar 24, 2003
    Raleighwood, NC
    I heard tell you can take a tractor tire to Nordstrom's (they don't sell tractor tires), tell them it is defective, get your cash back and then get your bad self over to the Nordstrom Online Pickups line and go to town

20. LowMax

LowMax

Jul 28, 2018
    Central California
    ctmullins likes this.