1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thoughts on pre-2010 American Deluxe Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stranger Danger, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    I found an 08 locally that I think is a good one. What do you guys think?

2. I've owned the 2010 version was unimpressed. I felt that it was just a standard in a posh frock. It's just not different enough from the standard to be worth the extra. Now I've got a 2012 P Deluxe and that is radically different from the standard and well worth the extra bucks.

3. Woofer

Woofer

Sep 24, 2008
    OBX
    I think the smaller body and 22 fret neck on these looks a lot better than the current crop. Wish they still did them that way.

4. VincentGrim

VincentGrim Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Mine was my favorite bass ever, I miss it dearly. :meh:

5. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Went back today and somebody bought it. You snooze you lose I guess. I knew it was a good one.

6. Personally, I much prefer the new-model AmDeluxe. Classic '70s looks, active/passive switch. I love my 2012. I had one of the old ones and didn't care for the cut-down body, but it was a nice bass.

7. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    I'm not a fan of that chalky white binding. Looks a bit cheap to me. Although I like the idea of the active/passive switch, the passive doesn't really sound very good to me (not like an Am Standard at all IMO). Plus I like the downsize body. I'm also not a fan of the $1700 price tag LOL. I do like the new Deluxe P basses but I like the older jazzes. To each his own I guess.

8. Yango

Yango

Apr 14, 2008
    Earth
    It's probably just as well that you didn't get it. I owned and played one both live and in the studio for a number of years. It was a constant battle to get a good tone. Eventually I got sick of it and traded for a Stingray—one of the best deals I ever made!!

If you're partial to a Jazz neck profile, I'd recommend that you look for a second hand EBMM Sterling. The tone is incredible, and the build quality is second to none.

If you don't mind a Precision profile, check out a Stingray—you won't be sorry you did.

9. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    I really dig the Sterling HS. There just aren't many around to try. I have a hard time buying without playing. I've only ever played one and I agree that it's a very nice bass.

10. radioface

radioface

May 2, 2013
    I have a 2000 American Deluxe Jazz 4 (22 fret neck/small body/headstock) and a newer model American Deluxe Jazz 4 with the larger body/headstock, 21 fret neck and active/passive switch. Both are comfortable basses to play, and sound great. I wish the new models came in a fretless V.

11. Me too - and I love it so much.

12. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I have an 2004 Am Dlx J V. I put some Nordstrand NJ5's and a Nordy two band preamp in it and it still only weighs 8.75 lbs. Totally like the slightly smaller body and very good fret work. I went another step and had Carey Nordstrand do a little reshaping of the neck. This bass is now one of the best Fender 5's I've ever played. Stable neck, even tone and feel all the way up and down the neck. Well balanced.

I think the Am Dlx basses between about 2001 and 2010 are great deals, especially if you upgrade the electronics, which isn't even necessary.

13. E
    I was lucky and got a like-new bass with the plastic still on it for $1200, most of which was covered with a trade of a '99 Hot Rod P/J.
    Definitely this is a matter of personal preference. I have no gripes at all about the pre-2010s.

14. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I had one briefly but got rid of it because I wasn't digging the smaller body concept and it was rather soft sounding to so off it went.

15. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Much the same here. Back in 2005 I bought a new Am Dlx Jazz Bass V Ash in vintage cherry burst sight unseen on eBay. Loved the look and feel and of the ones I tried in the stores. Needless to say, not all Fenders are alike and I found mine to be underwhelming from a sound standpoint. Replaced the preamp with an East JRetro Deluxe and the pickups with Bart's and the strings with LaBella tapes and now she's a screamer.
    Lesson learned - unless you're prepared to potentially sink $500 additional into it for mods, try before you buy. Not so much the case with the post 2010 Fenders which have improved significantly on the quality control and consistency from bass to bass, but very much the case prior to 2010 for some reason.

16. studio848

studio848 Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    SoCal, SWFL
    I have owned a couple pre 2010 - very good basses. Still own a 5 string that I gig a lot.

I like the smaller body size - light weight. 22 frets are cool also.

9V preamp is fine for me vs 18V...

IMHO they should have kept the small body, and put the 4/1 neck on them. that would have been cool...