1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thoughts on six string basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LuisKretzschmar, Nov 11, 2019.

1. LuisKretzschmar

LuisKretzschmar

Aug 21, 2019
    Hey dear talkbass comunity,
    I am an intermediate player thinking of buying a six string bass (Ibanez SR306EB 6-String Electric Bass Guitar Regular Weathered Black).
    I just wanted to know if it is the right thing for me. I am playing a lot of metal, and like playing chords on bass too so I thought that a six string might be the right thing.
    Any opinions? Maybe a better budget six string or tips?

RyanOh likes this.
  2. Garret Graves

Garret Graves website- ggbassplayer.com Gold Supporting Member

May 20, 2010
    Arcadia, Ca
    That looks like a good choice- give it a try! You'll know if its right for you in a few weeks or so

gebass6 likes this.
  3. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    I like six strings. Even if I don't use the low B and the high C too much (which is doubtful), I still like the tighter string spacing and the extra positions that open up.

gebass6 likes this.
  4. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    I love 6 string bass! In fact, I regret not starting out on a 7 string that way, I would only have 6 or 7 strings and no 5 stringers in current vast collection.

That said, Ibanez 6 string with regular Bart pickups are good. You'll have to do the research and clarify this part but the regular Barts were on premium or prestige model, if I remember.

There are a lot of budget 6 string bass and one of my favorites is the Warwick Corvette. The neck is a little chunky on the side but it gets good tones for almost any music. The absolute cheapest new 6 string is the recently released Bacchus. If you can find one, it is less than 800 bucks new. Other good ones that do any type of music is the Yamaha.

If you can shell out a little over 2.5K USD, then the Dingwall NG 6 string is fantastic. Z3 6 string is great but expensive. I love mine but I prefer the Fbass.

There are a bunch of budget 6 stringers but the Yamaha and Ibanez are pretty much the standard. If you have cash to burn, I highly recommend the F bass or the Xotic made by Hiro Miura or the Miura 6 string. I have them both and those two are incredible. Last but not least the Ibanez Grooveline 6 string is really great. It's quite rare.

Anyway that's my two cents.

LuisKretzschmar likes this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021