1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Thoughts on Squier basses? Im skeptical.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Drewsmith00, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Drewsmith00

Drewsmith00

Feb 26, 2021
    USA
    So ive been looking for a second bass for awhile and the Squier CV 70's Jazz bass V5 has shown up basically everywhere. The reason im skeptical is because I own a Squier guitar (Not bass), which was 120$ used and, is garbage. It worked when i was a beginner, but its definetly not great. Moving over to my bass, again, a piece of garbage, but this time it makes more sense. Its a yamaha TRBX174 which I got used for 80$. After learning basic technique i started to realize its faults, mainly the quality overall, tone (or lack thereof) and the action. The action makes sense, because I got it used, but its really bad, like at the 12th fret, its about 3/8 inch off the fretboard... yeah. Also, im getting a 5 string, no matter what. The yamaha is a 4 string and ive learned all the basics, after being told that I would be an idiot for starting on a 5 string, which i learned is bogus advice. I plan to get it adjusted when I get it, and put rotosounds on it. Any advice? Also im new to this forum so let me know if i need to clarify anything, thanks!

2. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Do a search. They generally are well respected around here with few issues and few poor performers and some people even gig them. FWIW I don't own any and am hardly a F fan.

It also sounds like you need to learn how to set up a bass properly. There are several good youtube how-tos on this subject.

lfmn16, Fun Size Nick, Bozzy and 25 others like this.
  3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    also: ALL BASIC SETUP QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE

4. Drewsmith00

Drewsmith00

Feb 26, 2021
    USA
    Yeah, as far as the setup goes, never, lol. Too much stuff for me to buy and the place I went to to get my regular guitar adjusted was AMAZING. 45 to fully adjust, and after checking just now, its 60 for a 5 string. Im usually hands on and fix literally everything myself but i cant pass that up.

5. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    IMO Squiers can be hit or miss, especially the affinity, but the CV line has been largely solid. Normally I’d recommend Yamaha or Ibanez as an alternative for better QC, but IDK if you’ve been burned ;)

But at the end of the day these are little details that some people notice, and some don’t. I’m not as picky about electronics or hardware, but picky about necks. I am also willing to do touch up work and replace parts if needed.

I’d recommend just playing them and see for yourself, or order from a place with a good return policy, like Sweetwater.

good luck, welcome to TB!

MovinTarget, Bozzy, Ikkir and 2 others like this.
  6. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Like anything they can be great of bad. The ones I have, I modded because the body and neck are great feeling. The cheaper ones tend to be cheap but the ones around $400 tend to play well

LostJohnny likes this.
  7. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
  8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Lots of people gigging Squiers regularly (but there is a big difference between Affinities and other models). Yeah, learn to do a setup.

JRA, Ikkir, sonojono and 2 others like this.
  9. One Way

One Way

Mar 6, 2018
    Atlanta, GA
    Squier VM and CV models are manufactured to a higher standard and price point than the lower range Squier models. My first bass was a Squier VM 70’s Jazz bass. It was awesome! I “upgraded” because a friend played it and brought to my attention the 60hz hum that is evident when neck and bridge pickup volumes were not equal. So I sold it, upgraded, and subsequently learned that is simply a characteristic of most Jazz basses.

10. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Seems to me when you get to the point where you can see the limitations, and they bother you, you deserve a better instrument.

We all did it. Bought cheap, because we had no cash and didn't know if we were bass players or not. Then comes the crossroads, where the guys who want to be better bass players go and buy the next level basses and the guys who don't buy a set of golf clubs instead.

If you want to move on from Squiers I'd suggest a US made Fender.

PS
    For the purposes of this post I'm ignoring the guys who think Squiers are great and don't want to buy another bass.

basted, 123Nil, Pet Sounds and 4 others like this.
  11. Bassclef46

Bassclef46

Feb 1, 2021
    squires, like fenders, flood the market. just because they are well marketed doesnt make them well made.
    If buying a budget bass, I would rather spend my money on a quality bass like a G&L tribute or Yamaha or Ibanez

k_hardy, gebass6, DTRN and 6 others like this.
  12. MynameisMe

MynameisMe These aren't the effects you're looking for... Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Wide Open Florida
    Stay away from the "Affinity" line and you should be fine.
    My first bass was a Affinity P and it was such a dog.
    The price I see locally on the CV stuff would make me want to hold out for a used Mex P or J.
    No personal experience with the CV line though, just my opinion.

Crater, Staccato, erratick and 2 others like this.
  13. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    There are some rellally good Squier basses. As some have mentioned, the Classic Vibe (CV) and the now retired Vintage Modified (VM) series have/had some great models. Some of them have been very sought after.
    But do keep in mind, they are still a budget line.
    I currently own 4 Squires (out of 9 bases total), and the only one that I feel completely satisfied with in stock condition is the VM 70's Jazz Bass (with the blocked neck). I used it on some song on my new album. Really, it's a great bass.
    The other ones are fun to play, fun to look at, and good basic basses. Nothing to be ashamed of, and I have played my CV 50s Precision bass live and on one song on my album. The pickup is aggressive and loud, and it breaks up nicely of you play music with an edge. But it is a very specific sound.
    I like having a variety of basses for options.
    That being said, when I am gigging and recording and rehearsing I will almost always play my German Warwick or my Mexican Fender Precision Bass with Geezer Butler Pickups. Everything about them is at a higher quality and give ME what I need.
    Many people use the less expensive bases to modify. So, a Squier Precision Bass with a Geezer pickup, better bridge and tuners? I would play that all day! But, once the costs of the mods put you in reach of a good used Fender or other model of your preferred look and sound? Something to consider when you put everything on the scale.
    Have fun!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  14. Drewsmith00

Drewsmith00

Feb 26, 2021
    USA
    Yes! My guitar is an affinity, i should have specified. Ive always thought of Squier as Fender for beginners, but i guess its really affinity that holds that title.

15. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    I've had quite a few Fenders over the years, mostly American, or Japanese. Right now I have a made in Mexico P bass that I have put my old fretless neck on. It had a very nice neck when I got it used. The only fretted bass I still own is a Squier CV 50s Precision. It is wonderful. I changed bridge and tuners to older styled units, but the hardware it came with was fine. Go for a CV and you will probably be happy. You'll need an allen wrench and a screwdriver to do your own setup. Learn how, it's not difficult at all, and you will likely need to tweak your truss rod once or twice a year. One minute with the allen wrench, or a week at the shop, your choice

sonojono and Drewsmith00 like this.
  16. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    This.

17. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    My only suggestion is stay away from made in China basses. QC is bad in general. Indonesian and Korean made squiers are usually fine.

ejaggers, wmmj, DTRN and 4 others like this.
  18. Drewsmith00

Drewsmith00

Feb 26, 2021
    USA
    Also, if anybody is this far down in the thread, is playing without an amp bad for the bass? When i practice at home I play without an amp, and ive been thinking about getting the vox bass headphone amp instead, and then using my usual bass amp when i need to. Will the headphone amp still sound good? Obviously i dont know what bass im getting yet, but in your guys' experience, are they worth it?

19. Drewsmith00

Drewsmith00

Feb 26, 2021
    USA
    Yep! Im looking at an Indonesian made one.

gebass6 likes this.
  20. Bonecat

Bonecat

Oct 22, 2005
    Michigan
    The truth of Squires is that they’re really inconsistent. I’ve had three - two were marginal even after a pro setup. The other was brilliant and I regret selling it. The only real option is to play lots of them until you find the good ones.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021