1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

...THOUGHTS ON STARTING OVER...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 5string_phunk, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Good Morning fellow TB'ers!

Here's my situation...I have been accumulating a few nice basses over the past few years, but over the past few months I have only been playing my four string and my six banger. I am just not satisfied with the other basses I have.

I am in the process of making moves forward in my bass playing (i.e. lessons with top notch teachers, jam sessions, PAYING gigs :bassist:).
    I read some articles/threads the past week about the merits of spending time learning on ONE instrument.

So I think I have decided to part with everything, except my six string, and invest that money into one really nice bass to go with me through this process!

Advice from those who have/are in this mindset?? :help:

2. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Jul 3, 2004
    New York and Philadelphia
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball MusicMan Guitars
    Sounds good to me.

Just did this myself. Sold a TON of amazing basses...gonna bag one more. While I have a bunch of basses for recording, I wanted use mainly ONE to shed for 2012.

And Yes, I get the "variety is the spice of life, you NEED 10 basses" lunacy, but for me, I just wanted to focus hard and fast on Music, theory, ear training.

One I flushed all the basses that I wasn't using, but 'had to have'...a lot of my 'what bass should I use' stress vanished. Holy crap, I could just, practice and focus.

And Like you..I was just going to grab a BONGO 6 string, and mothball all the Vintage wood for the year, but decided, again, for me, to just focus on the 4.

If we're talking about learning music and not collecting,posing, or bragging rights, well hell, do it, and do it now.

There are plenty of top top top bassists out there, that just do ONE - Let's start with Anthony Jackson, and move backwards. Jeff Berlin, that Jaco guy...etc.

3. If it helps you focus on the music, then go for it! I like doing both, but everybody is different :)

4. SwagAttack

SwagAttack

Sep 14, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    That is a great idea. I'm at school, so I leave all my basses at home. Whenever I go home, I immediately go to play my favorite basses with the little time I have, and the rest are left in the cold. When I came back for break, I realized a lot of them didn't appeal to me anymore, and so decided to thin the heard fairly significantly. Now I only play a few basses, and have a couple extra just for variety in tones. I wouldn't suggest selling all of them unless you are really dedicated on one tone. If you like various tones, having only one or two basses may not be enough.

5. I've been pondering this same question lately, so am right there with you. My problem is I can't decide which basses to part with, guess I just have to pick one, put it up for sale and get the process started. I hadn't thought about the benefit of bringing a little more focus to my practice sessions, this is something I desperately need. Nice to know others are in the same mindset.

6. Yeah I'm gonna definitely part with a few.

I think I've narrowed it down to three...my MusicMan Stingray 4HH fretless, Warwick Corvette 6 (for the times I need that extended range), and then purchase a Spector 4XL to use as "THE" bass!

Although sometimes I start to panic when thinking of parting with my Spector's and Fender's...but I guess that's just the symptoms of withdrawal! :)

7. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    I recall a magazine interview where Jaco talked about intimately knowing his bass - an intimacy that can only come from using one bass. That impressed me. Whether it was true or not is another matter. But after reading that, I’ve wondered how much I could improve by sticking to a single bass. I could never do it though. I can't even stick to the same family of instruments for more than a few weeks.

8. that is where I am trying to get. I realized that the great majority of my favorite players use one bass the majority of the time!

9. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    Maybe those guys use only one bass because they've realized that its far more about the player's skills than the bass. I have a pile of basses but the truth is I play only one of them 95% of the time. I don't sell mine because I'm too lazy to go thru the effort and I don't want to deal with the reality of what they are actually worth (vs the ideal number ere in my head). But if I were too sell all but one I would used the money for lessons - my number one bass has me satisfied in a way that is GAS proof.

My advice is to consider that there is no "perfect for everything" bass, be happy with your GoTo bass, sell the rest, and invest the procedes is lessons.

10. exactly!! I will def reinvest the money I get back into bettering myself as a musician.

I also agree that there is no "perfect" bass. I don't think I could ever just have one bass...I def need my 6 string for the gospel church scene and a fretless for the jazz group I'm starting to play with! :D

11. xfretlessx

xfretlessx

Dec 17, 2010
    Mohawk, NY
    I say do it. I have had a number of basses and I always played 1 of them 99.99% of the time. I have 2 now and I want to get rid of the one I never use. It hasnt been played in close to 2 years until a week ago. I picked it up and played around for 10 min then put it down because it felt weird. I had to go back to my fav. Its the only bass that feels right in my hands. I love it and dont even enjoy playing others because they arent "my bass". Im always GASing for something new and expensive (I really want a Carvin 6 string fretless or a Tobias of the same persuasion..not expensive for some but for me they are) but then I think about how much I love mine and suddenly I dont care about a new one. I will have "MY" bass until its stolen or totally un-playable.

Oh ya. my bass is a Dean Edge 6 string fretless that I paid $500 for out the door with a coffin case. *Sometimes* you get MORE than you pay for. I have played basses that cost 4X more that I dont like half as much.

12. Thumper

Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    I think you are on the right track. However, I would advise you keep a back-up and sell the rest, just to have a bass if something on your main player breaks.

There is something about bonding with one, and at the end of your days taking comfort from the mojo imparted upon it. And it will mean something to those you leave behind.

13. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    As your musical strength, know-how, etc. builds, you'll be a much more competent player with any instrument in your hands. The trick of the brain could just be that the one bass you play all the time is, well... the one you hear yourself playing all the time.

It can certainly be hard to hear or feel our progress from day to day, but I think that there's a huge upside to developing a strong unconscious familiarity with one instrument. I think it makes for a more seamless musical path between the sound in our heads (our craniums, that is) and what comes out of the speakers.

14. I owned several basses and rotated them until I got real serious about playing. Now I have a main fretted and a main fretless. The others were sold or collect dust.

Comfort and confidence in your instrument is important when music becomes a part of your livelihood. The stakes are high and you don't want your instrument choice to blow it for you. So inevitably, you develop a relationship with your main instrument. You can change that instrument, but I bet most pro level guys have a main bass and use that bass most of the time for the important work.

John

15. Flyingfrets

Flyingfrets

Dec 25, 2011
    I'm primarily a guitar player and I definitely went WAAAAAAY overboard collecting instruments (at one time 31 guitars & 2 basses) over the years. Pared it down to 5 guitars (then gave 1 of those to my nephew & had 1 stolen shortly after that). Down to a Les Paul, a Strat & a Hamer.

Funny thing is, I've kept the same 2 basses through it all. Must've made the right choices on those in the first place (Ric 4001 & a Rogue Viola).

The project I'm involved in now is only the 2nd time I've played bass full-time (always loved playing bass though).

Figure at this point, between the guitars, basses & fx, I've got all the tonal variation I'm gonna need, so basically, you gotta do what you can afford and what makes you happy.

16. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Sounds exactly like me.:bag:

In any case , the thought of selling all of my gear (10+ guitars) and owning 1 or maybe 2 REALLY high end basses is kinda cool. But, not sure I could stick to only a custom Fodera and a custom Ritter (or whatever). Did this with 6string guitars. I own a Strat, a Les Paul Standard and a Taylor acoustic... Couldn't be happier with my guitars though.

I get bored to easily I guess!