1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

thoughts on string tree

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by cloren, Feb 27, 2008.

1. cloren

cloren

Nov 15, 2007
    san francisco
    I installed a string tree for my tenor warmoth j bass (ADGC) but only for the G and C string. My D string is wacked out though- it's the weirdest thing because the harmonics take place several centimeters away from where they should be - I'm 99% certain it's because there is no string tree applying pressure behind the nut. (when I first assembled it, I strung it w/ standard light gauge EADG and the thing was perfectly intonated)

first question is, do i risk damaging the neck joint if I add a 2nd tree for the A and D string?

second question is, do you have any suggestions for which string tree to go for? I've heard good things about hipshot

2. You could make sure you have the d wrapped all the way down on the tuner's post to help get a better breaking angle across the nut. I've seen some necks with a bar bolted across them, just above the nut, giving all the strings a fairly even, nice breaking angle across the nut. I've also seen one where the guy used two of the "coin"-type on a neck with no trouble. Just looked weird. Hard to give you more ideas without pix to look at(and of course no handling of the instrument). Did you check/reset the intonation after going to the new strings? How's the fit/position in the d's nut groove?
    Josh

3. cloren

cloren

Nov 15, 2007
    san francisco
    I think a large part of the problem is that the D string is too small and doesn't fit well into the nut's groove.

I would post pictures but my camera is broken.

I thought at first it was the way the string was wound, but for sure that isn't the problem, the string just sits too high.

(I also know its not an issue with my badass bridge- ive been intonating my basses for years and Ive never experienced harmonics where they shouldn't be)

4. Lalabadie

Lalabadie Guest

Jan 11, 2007
    I assume you have roundwounds?
    If the string can slide freely through the nut groove, it can be a problem (but I mean really slide).

5. cloren

cloren

Nov 15, 2007
    san francisco
    you assume correctly- roundwound d'addario medium gauge

6. Lalabadie

Lalabadie Guest

Jan 11, 2007
    This might mean that the string can work in tension (stretching - unstretching) from the bridge to the tuner, while it vibrates (laterally) from the bridge to the nut.

You should make sure it sits somewhat tightly into its groove at the nut. Otherwise, I really don't know. Do harmonics happen at weird places or are they just higher/lower than they should be on the fretboard?