Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thoughts on SWR or Trace Elliot

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RJS, May 12, 2002.

1. RJS

RJS

May 12, 2002
    Buying my first rig and I'm looking for some tips from experienced users out there. My price range is around $800-$1000 for either Head/Cabs or combo.
    Right now the front-runner is an SWR rig, and I'd like some thoughts.
    Workingman 4004 head, with 2X10T cab, and 1X15T cab.
    It's actually a lot more than I probably need, and the most expensive out of all of them, but it's not much more than some of the really good combos out there. I've never owned SWR before, so what do you think.
    I'm also considering a Trace Elliot 2X10 combo with the GP7 head built in, and a Carvin RC210 combo.

Any thoughts or opinions would help. Thanks.

RJS72

2. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    You might be better to go with SWR!!! I'd normally recommend Trace Elliot - but as they have an uncertain future, you might be best to avoid them for now.

I'm a big Trace fan, but having just bought an Ashdown EB130 combo, have made a mental note to consider Ashdown when looking for amps/cabs in future!!! Also their MD was one of the Trace Elliot designers!

3. RJS

RJS

May 12, 2002
    Thanks for the tip. I liked the Trace Elliot a lot, and it's a decent amount less expensive than the SWR - but then again the Trace is a combo and the SWR is a head w/2 cabs. I'm not sure about the companies future...I definitaly want ot buy from somebody that will still be around 6 months from now. I thought Gibson bought out Trace, and was moving the manufacturing to the US? Anyway, any thoughts on these set-ups (or any other suggestions) would be welcome. Thanks.

RJD

4. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Not too sure about SWR stuff, as I haven't seen any!!! I like the full sound of the 4 x 10 plus the 1 x 15 I have. Haven't ever used a 2 x 10, but I would imagine that again you'll get very full sound - nice and punchy from the 2 x 10 and plenty of bottom off the 1 x 15!

The thing I've found about Trace stuff is that it's pretty much bullet proof, so if you got it you wouldn't need to worry about their future. However, I think you'd be better with a head and 2 cabs unless portability is an issue!

5. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Given the choice between the SWR Workingman series and the Trace, I'd go with the Trace. As Johnny Boom Boo said, Trace gear is (was?) pretty much bulletproof and if you like their tone, well, nothing beats them.

However if the choice was between SWR's professional series and the Trace I'd go with SWR, just because of personal preference.

6. RJS

RJS

May 12, 2002
    I like the Tace, but, I'm wondering if I'd lose a lot not having the 1X15 like the SWR has (the Trace is a 2X10 combo, but has their AH300-GP7 head built in). Please keep the opinions and info coming. Thanks.

RJS72

7. RJS

RJS

May 12, 2002
    So, Would you guys basically recommend bagging the Carvin RC210, and deciding between the Trace combo or SWR? Any votes out there for the Carvin? I've heard it's really good but haven't been able to check it out.

RJS

8. phil_chew

phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Asia
    If you get the Trace combo, you can always add a 1x15 extension speaker later on. There is an output for it.

9. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Never seen nor heard Carvin stuff - so it's not fair for me to comment! As far as Trace stuff goes - as pointed out you can always get a 1 x 15 extension cab for it!

You could always look out for a Trace head and mix and match cabs to suit! Another possibility is Ashdown - I just bought their Electric Blue 15 combo and I'm really impressed with the sound, and build quality. Not sure if they'd fit you're budget though!