Thoughts on SWR Workingman 15 combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jellybass, Aug 1, 2005.

1. jellybass

jellybass Guest

Nov 8, 2004
    I have a chance to get a brand bew SWR Workingman 15 combo for a very good deal. I like the portability and power, anybody use this or have experience using this combo?
  2. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I have one in the studio/practice space where I reherse with my band. The amp is included with the rental practice space, along with a drum kit, guitar amp, and PA. So I don't actually own it.

I only used this amp only once, at my first practice/audition when I joined the band. It was not even close to being loud enough to keep up with the band. I have since brought my own amp/cab (Mesa Walkabout and Avatar 210) to practice and just push the SWR into the corner.

The band I tried using the SWR with is a 12 piece funk band. So I'm trying to keep up with a horn section, full rhythm section, and singers.

I think that it might be a good amp for practicing at home, or for small coffee shop type of gigs, but it can't keep up with a good sized band. It sounds nice by itself, but when it is in the mix is gets muddy and lost really quick.
  3. I've been using the Workingman's 15 combo as my sole practice/rehearsal amp for three years. It's been able to keep up with loud bands in small rehearsal rooms. It will not cut a rock band gig, IME.
  4. fine if you are playing jazz or the like, but not nearly loud enough for rock... Turned me off of SWR products and I have yet to be convinced otherwise...
  5. AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    I've had one for several years. It's perfectly adequate for most gigs I do and has good tone-shaping capabilities. If it's not loud enough for rehearsal, you're rehearsing too damn loud. I don't use the "Aural Enhancer", as I'm not a fan of smiley-face EQ. As you said, it's light, but seems to be put together fairly well and sounds solid.
  6. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Owned a WM12 for a while and used a WM15 a bit as well.

Neither cut it for me. Not nearly loud enough for a rock band -- even in practice -- and not loud enough for an 8-piece horn band (think Blues Brothers). Liked the tone, but just couldn't see keeping it, since it wasn't sufficient.

A great amp for coffehouse/jazz/URB & EUB gigs, but IME, not much else.

7. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I had one for three years. It sounds good and I gigged out (with pa support) with no problems. It is not loud enough for louder gigs as a stand-alone, as the other posters have said. It is not the most portable unit- the small top mounted handle makes for some difficult situations (steep stairs, for instance).
    I replaced it with 2 Bergantino 12" cabs and an Eden WT-550 which is much easier to transport and a quantum leap up sonically. :D
  8. jellybass

jellybass Guest

Nov 8, 2004
    I was thinking about throwing an Ampeg 410 I have with it as support. I would figure 200 watts with that configuration would be plenty loud.
  9. I don't think you'll notice all that much of a difference. I went to Guitar Center and tried the WM15 combo alone, and then with a WM 4x10 cabinet hooked up, and it was maybe a hair louder. Not even a noticeable improvement, really. I was hoping it would make a difference, 'cause I didn't want to buy a new rig. Going from 160 watts to 200, even with the extra speakers, won't really help.
  10. I had a WM12 for 3 years and tried the WM15 and as far as low end response, it was a world of difference. I will say like everyone else that it wasn't as loud as one would expect. It does sound very good and has good tone shaping. I really like the Aural Enhancer.