Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

thoughts on the Benavente SC Bolt-on

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brian Barrett, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    The Same SC Benavente Model's, but we are doing the Bolt-on versions to see what people think. Notice the Bolts run up the side of the SC to attach the Neck and body higher up for added support just like the Set-neck and Neck-through does.

Chris's personal SCB bass
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BassPlayer Review bass for the Bolt-on SCD. Upper wing mount holes haven't been drilled in these pictures, but will be like 4 string.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Looks pretty cool-reminds me a bit of the Veillette singlecut bolt-on. What's the reasoning behind it-easier neck repair and maintenance? Or is it for those who like the sound of a bolt-on?

3. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Bolt-on Singlecut basses are nice!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Peace,
    JP

4. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    For those that Like Bolt-on and the SC design. Bolt-on's take less time to make then a Neck-through and the price reflects that. Not that a Bolt-on is any less of an instrument, but being priced less allows some customer's to get into a Bolt-on Benavente SC easier and the theory behind the design is all there!

[added]
    Chris slanted the SC wing bolts at an angel to pull the neck up tighter to the wing for added response from neck and tighter fit.

5. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    They look great JP, but I didn't say it was just invented.

6. I like the idea, especially if it retains some of the punch usually associated with bolt-on instruments.

Mike

7. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Not my point Brian!

Just wanted to say i love the concept.

btw, I never got the fact NT were more expensive than bolt on or Set neck. IMO and IME, NT basses are the easiest to build.

Peace,
    JP

8. I am a fan of bolt on, especially in fretted. What kind of price difference are we talking?

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That's been my experience... though there will always be exceptions.

Looks good, Brian.

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    After seeing Kevin Brubaker's build process I'd agree (more complicated than one would think). Neck-thru (in his case) would be much easier. OTOH getting the liveliness of the bolt-on joint to go along with the sustain he already gets might be easier said than done;)

Chris' new joint may actually sound like his neck-thrus, judging by how far up the upper body the neck is fastened. Just a guess. I'm looking forward to playing one.

11. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Thanks guys for the positive comments.

Sorry we don't have enough Bolt-on SC's built (3) so I can post as many basses in the "Benavente SC BO" Thread as JP did of other makers. This was just something Chris wanted to offer after he built two for himself. Liked the response and feel so he wanted to get feedback on it.

Thanks

12. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Chris has always had a strong sense of aesthetically pleasing design in the SC arena that combines function and form. Beauty being in the eye of the beer holder and all, I like his SC designs the most out of any I've seen.

It's tough to not recall designs out of Brooklyn when doing a SC, but this bolt-on design is certainly unique and extremely well thought out and executed.

Count me in among the seriously interested - this is a stunning piece of functional art :bassist:

13. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    Very nice, for some reason I tend to prefer bolt-ons. I love the black theme and binding. I like seeing painted Benaventes.

14. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder! :)
    I think the headstock looks nice with the body shape. The curve on top of the headstock accents the body nicely.
    As for the bolt-on concept, I doubt if I'll buy another neck-thru. To limiting on the set-up and I just prefer the sound of most bolt-ons over a neck-thru. I'd definetly check one out!

15. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Heres the finish Pictures of the BP bass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I love 'em!!! Send me and 8 string model!!

:D

17. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Nice. Will they available in 6 string versions?? I am starting to like single cuts more and more, but I prefer bolt on basses. So maybe sometime in the future, now that I have a new job making a lot more money...... :hyper:

Also, Brian, I don't think JP was trying to hijack your thread by posting a few pics of singlecut bolt on basses by other makers, he was simply making a point that it was a cool idea, I think. No big deal.

18. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Thanks for the positive statements everyone!

Ryan
    The basses are made in all string versions.

Thanks

19. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I love 'em! If I was gonna get a Benavente SC, it'd be one of these. However, as a 16 year old with no job...ehh, well, you know.