1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

thoughts on the blackbird

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassninja7, Sep 23, 2008.

1. bassninja7

bassninja7

Mar 1, 2008
    Napoleon, OH
    http://www.myspace.com/publicface
    anyone played one?
    own one?

two pickups with one switch....hmmmm
    hows it sound.

i have a bird. i usually run it full blown with my sansamp with my 'custom' channel but roll some neck off with the SVT channel

also whats the 'thing' at the end of the bridge?!:ninja:

2. gibsonbassist45

gibsonbassist45

Jul 13, 2008
    humph. ive never played one yet. i heard they werent bad. but ive never seen one face to face so ive never tried one. but i do know that "thing" at the end of the bass under the bridge is a sort of tug bar called the "opti grab". the whole purpose of it is so you can put your pinky through it and play with it pick style more toward the bridge.its just like something to hold onto.it didnt look comfortable to use actually. i even saw a demo on youtube and the guy tried to demonstrate how it works. i didnt look comfortable. he even said it wasnt. so thats what that is all about.

3. bassninja7

bassninja7

Mar 1, 2008
    Napoleon, OH
    http://www.myspace.com/publicface
    hmmmm

well i play finger-style so that bar us pretty much useless to me, lol

but anyone actually try one?!

4. gibsonbassist45

gibsonbassist45

Jul 13, 2008
    basically its useless to alot of people. i wouldnt use it. i dont even think nikki uses it.but i would not. i play pick and finger style 50/50. but i would never find a use for that thing in pick playing.

5. "Opti from the eye, and grab from where you grab it."

"Opti-Grabbing it."

I wonder how much that unit costs....

(someone help me on this....)

6. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    I've owned one of the original issue of them, it played great and if your playing context is that of a loud rock band it's a good instrument. If you have a subtle playing style this is not the bass for you. The pickups are wired together with an on/off toggle only, which again works for the loud rock band premise. Nikki always used a pick, the opti-grab is where he happens to hook his pinkie while playing, it's name comes from the old Steve Martin movie "The Jerk" As for sound I really liked mine, it's a bit louder, darker and tighter than a standard modern (post '88) Thunderbird - sits in the mix with the band great! The only reason I traded mine off was to finance a black '77 Thunderbird that I wanted even more. That said I miss it and have one of the new red ones on order from Gibson. :)

7. Come on!?!?!?!