Thoughts on the Carvin MB15 considering the "going-out-of-business-price?"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mikeddd, Jan 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Thank you, it’s something I have always tried to be. :)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  2. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    "I think of the staff, the folk who have worked their entire lives to make the business what it was, only to be left with an underfunded pension plan and little to no severance.[/QUOTE]". Is that what actually happened at Carvin ?

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

". Is that what actually happened at Carvin ?[/QUOTE]

I don’t know but it IS a typical MO in liquidations.

4. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    Who said no service or parts? Nearly everything in these amps can be serviced by a technician using off-the-shelf parts.

If you're looking for an OE slider knob, or rackmount faceplate for a BX500, you may soon be out of luck, but to keep an amplifier running, it only needs a competent technician, time, and money.

Mpike, BassmanPaul and jnewmark like this.
  5. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Yeah. I've mentioned this before that any competent tech should be able to service those amps if it's something common and obvious as to what is wrong with it. Also, with the EBay and PayPal guarantee of money back if the amp is DOA, or not as described in the listing, should not scare anyone away from buying. We can debate price all day, but that is what liquidators do, set the price so THEY can make it worth their while to take over an entire inventory of a business and sell it. I really don't think Carvin dictated the " liquidation " price to charge, but I may be wrong.

6. Bass4Gsus

Bass4Gsus

Feb 13, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Mpike likes this.
  7. mmbass21

mmbass21 Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2016
    Florida
    ".

I don't know about the actual employees and they really never made the reasons of the Carvin/Kiesel split public. Now I've followed Kiesel ever since the split and what I've come to the conclusion of is that the guitar side wanted more freedom of innovation. Personally I think since the split, Carvin lacked solid endorsers outside of Steve Vai and they really didn't produce anything outside of the norm that they already had.
    I don't know if the guitar side was carrying the business but the quality Kiesel is putting out now is incredible and their QC has become more consistent as well. It's a shame that the family couldn't keep it together. I remember watching a facebook live feed with Jeff after the Carvin closing announcement and he said that his uncles visited for the first time since the split.

8. kramerj

kramerj Supporting Member

May 22, 2003
    Iowa City, IA
    I've only played through the MB15 at the Carvin store. it sounded, at least for the short period I tried it, similar to the MB210 I own. Others may have more to say about their sonic properties--many have been very happy with the MB15 + 15" extension cab. As a standalone, the 210 has been great for trio gigging and as a stage monitor with larger groups. Its footprint is only about 12" square, a nice feature on crowded stages. In addition, the vertical speaker stacking brings them closer to your ears than a single MB15 would.

9. kramerj

kramerj Supporting Member

May 22, 2003
    Iowa City, IA
  10. bobomatic

bobomatic

Jan 15, 2018
    UPDATE... Just got my BDI21 and set the MB15 dead flat with just a touch of compression. For an extra 30 bucks the tone is incredible, I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. The Carvin makes a VERY solid clean “power amp” with your choice of preamp....

mikewalker likes this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 19, 2021