Thoughts on the Edge Q6 and Performer CE?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Oct 13, 2002.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I'm looking at several prospective new basses, and I know I either want to go six string, or acoustic.

So, what are your thoughts on the Dean Edge Q6 and the Dean Performer CE?

Btw, any other suggestions for six strings or acoustics under $800CDN?
  2. I have a Q6 and I'd say they are a pretty cheap and cheerful way to get into playing 6 string bass. Mine has nice harmonics, sustain, no dead spots to speak of... The neck has a very comfortable profile (YMMV) with more "meat" down at the bottom end than up near the neck. When I was thinking about buying it I tried it against an Ibanez SGR406 which in my view didn't sound as nice. When trying out a six the most important factor is comfort. If it feels uncomfortable to play then no matter how "good" a bass it is, it's probably not worth getting. RSI is bad, Mmkay?

An acoustic bass is easy to pick up and noodle on on your own, but as soon as you start adding other players you can easily get drowned out. Then you need to plug in which kind of defeats the purpose. On the other hand if you're playing folksy stuff or more mellow stuff then even the plugged in sound of an ABG can sometimes really add something to the sound. Certain MTV Unplugged artists have taken advantage of that.

I also play acoustic bass (Ovation 5 string), but really these two instruments do completely different jobs and make completely different sounds, so if you let us know what kind of situations you will be playing in and what kind of music that might help.
  3. I have an Edge 4 and a Dean Performer acoustic guitar.
    I've only messed around with the Q6 and the Performer bass at the store. but, I can assure you of very good quality with Dean instruments. The multi-lamintate neck on the Q6 feels thin and comfy (from what I remember). you also get Grover tuners if I'm not mistaken. the only thing I've noticed (on some of the floor model Dean's) is scratcy pots. be sure and plug it in a play around with it for a little bit, before you take it home.
    but overall the current Deans are very good bargains.
  4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've played around with the two Edge 6 string basses at my local shop Classic Axe and have been very impressed. Nice feel, particularly the neck which is very comfortable and good and wide for easy playing. If I were looking to get a 6 string that's what I would buy. My 5 string Edge has been fantastic in every way.

Since I own a Tacoma I wouldn't be interested in any other acoustic bass. Can't help you there.
  5. Don't forget that all three of the basses you mentioned are of varying/different scale lengths. The Q6 is a 35", the acoustic bass is 32" and the SR406 is a 34" scale.
    This is probably the most critical comfort factor aside from neck shapes so just in case you hadn't realized that all 3 were so different...

I liked the Q6 very much and the EMG active pickups are great. The SR406 has a much more comfortable neck for me so I went with that, figuring I'd maybe change the pickups later. NOW though, Ibanez has added Barts to the SR so maybe check that out.
    You can't go wrong with any of the Deans at their price point though.
  6. Oh yeah... I want to second the opinion that an acoustic bass guitar is of limited use unless it is of very high quality construction. The only instruments I've found useful in truly unplugged situations were Martins, Tacomas and Taylors so far. They are all very expensive although the Tacoma is about 1/2 of the price of the others. Ovations can be loud enough acoustically but I've never personally been able to warm up to their "plastic-y" sound. (Amplified, they sound great though!)
    I haven't had the pleasure of trying out smaller luthiers' ABGs but that doesn't sound like the price point you're looking at anyway.

The ABGs at Micheal Kelly/Mailbox guitars look attactive and possibly a good deal. Has anyone here tried them?