Thoughts on the ESP LTD B1004SE?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Albino RyNo, Feb 24, 2019.

1. It's great!

100.0%
  2. It's ok.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. It's trash!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Albino RyNo

Albino RyNo

Jan 20, 2016
    Just curious if anyone had owned or played an ESP LTD B1004SE and could give any overall thoughts on it. I have the chance to grab one at a pretty huge discount but I haven't had a lot of luck in the past with buying basses sight unseen without playing them first. BTW I'm not referring to the newer fanned fret model, I'm specifically looking at the one with the bubinga top and Nordstrand pickups.
    esp-lb1004sebns.jpg

The description is as follows:
    'Part of the LTD Deluxe Series that’s designed for professional musical applications on stage and in the studio, the B-1004SE is a special edition bass that is perfect for almost any performance style and genre. Constructed at 34” scale, it offers a swamp ash body topped by solid bubinga, along with a five-piece wenge/bubinga neck with rosewood fingerboard. The B-1004SE’s components include high-quality tuners and bridge from Gotoh, but it is highlighted by the inclusion of Nordstrand Big Splits hum-cancelling pickups, along with an ABQ-3MS 3-band EQ. This setup gives you incredible flexibility in tone, with an active/passive mini-switch, a mid-frequency selection mini-switch (800Hz or 400Hz), individual bass, treble and mid EQ controls, and master volume and balance controls.'
    esp-lb1004sebns_2_.jpg

I don't really play a lot of metal so I've never really given ESP basses a serious look. I mostly play rock, funk, alternative and I've always been jonesing to have a swamp ash bass with Nordstrand big splits in it. I realize the preamp is probably one of the weakest links on this bass but with my actives I rarely add more than just a tiny bit of EQ here and there.

Anyone played or owned one? What's the build quality like? Any neck dive? Does it growl when you dig in? Can it be mellow? What's its weight like?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Attached Files:

2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 24, 2022