Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thoughts on the future (after high school)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vince S., Aug 29, 2004.

1. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    Hey all

There are only two days until I go back to school. I am going to be a junior. I started thinking about the future today, and I realized I really need some advice as to what to do to prepare for it.

College resumes... I don't play any sports in school, nor participate in any extracurriculars. I don't have a job yet, and the only volunteer organization I participate in is the Police Explorers since I want to be a police officer when I grow up. I'll be looking for a job soon since I just turned 16. Besides a job and Police Explorers, is there anything else I can do to stick on there? I know colleges look for well rounded students, but does not playing a sport put me at a disadvantage? Does saying I play (or try to) bass help?

Also, SATs. Any tips I should know? I took the PSATs in freshman year, and scored about a 950. I know I can do much better than that, so any hints or tips to get a good score? Those huge SAT manuals just don't cut it for me.

Thank you all

Vince

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Apply for scholarships/grants/financial aid early. Apply/complete the assignment to every grant that you qualify for. It helps to have an idea of your major before your second year of college. I'm a sophomore and I only recently found my major.

Go to community college first for a few reasons

1. Saves you/your parents a ton of money
    2. Option of living at home
    3. Can keep the same job you had in high school

Good luck, man

3. Vince S.

Jan 24, 2003
    Ok, thank you.

Anything else I should know?

Vince

4. Don't go into the SAT cocky. I made a projected 1300something on my PSATs, so I figured I'd waltz into the SAT with no studying, no sleep, and I figured I would do just fine.

I fell asleep during the test, and having no subject material on my brain, I made a 970.

Now I'm stuck in a community college and I'm building up my GPA to transfer to an actual university. :meh:

5. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I was the same way in school which made it really hard for me to get scholarships. I was an A student, but the fact that I had no extracurricular stuff hurt my resumes. I suppose it depends on what school you're looking at though. Most state schools will take you on good grades alone.
    I agree with the idea of doing basic courses at a community college. It's way cheaper not to mention the fact that scholarships are considerably easier to get from a community college. However, make sure the community college classes will transfer over to the college you'd like to graduate from.
    As far as the bass playing goes - do you play in the school band? If not, that would be a good thing to do. Any kind of group activity looks good. Most schools have several groups that a bass player works well in - jazz bands, pep bands, orchestra (if you play double bass). Any and every activity looks good. If you're involved in a church youth group even. Any community service stuff you've done is also a plus. Schools and scholarship people like to see community involvement.
    There are so many scholarships out there it's just silly. Hell, I even applied for a 'Left Handed' scholarship - no $hit.

I imagine if you want to be a cop, an associates degree in Criminal Justice would probably be good enough, which you could do at a community college. I'm not totally sure though...guess it depends on the City/County/State guide lines.

6. Vince S.

Jan 24, 2003
    I like the community college idea. Its actually been suggested to me before by a friend in my Explorers Post who is taking 2 yrs community college/2 yrs at a university before becoming a police officer. I would like to take that road, but my parents refused when I suggested it. They said they didn't want me to go to community college just for the fact that it's "community college."

Vince

7. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Well who's paying for it? If they are then hell yeah, go to whatever school you want. If you're paying for it.....

8. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    I took the community college route because it was closer to home, and I dont think I'm ready to go to a University, because I dont know what I want to major in. If you know what you're doing, then you should strive to achieve it. I dont know what to say about the application for college because I never filled one out. But just send in some applications, and see what happends.

9. im going to junior college down in newport beach for rowing, then uc berkeley for rowing. just wait.

10. bluntman_bass

bluntman_bass

Jul 13, 2004
    Wilcox, NE
    either become a pimp, or save up some money and buy a strip club.

11. If you're planning on going to a 4 year college make sure your GPA is at a descent consistent average. At least 3.0 would be ok. You should consider a state college and not just a community college. State colleges aren't as expensive as 4 year Universities and will give you the same education in a better learning environment because the clases aren't as big. Clases usually start at 100 people but so many people end up droping the classes that by the third week your down to about 30 people or a bit more. But anyways take that into consideration. Also try to do some volunteer work at school even if it kills you. Also community service would help. My school has this club that does a lot of community service sometimes during the weekends and stuff so look out for one in your school. Also this worked for my friend but if you have a band and have played some sort of festival and all the money went towards a good cause then colleges will like that as long as you guys didn't make any profits. You're pretty lucky since you're already thinking about this and you're barely a junior. I just started senior year and there's no way I'll make up my past D's and Fails. So I'll probably head on to a community college and then transfer to a state college. But I have no idea on what I'll major. But I guess I have about 2 years or so to make up my mind. Well good luck. I'm not sure but I think if you're going to go to a community college the requirements are to be 18 and have a high school diploma or at least pass your G.E.D. So yeah good luck!

12. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    a gap year to india/the far east, then off to oxford university (hopefully)

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Enjoy going to India. They love Americans. (not).

14. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    what is that supposed to mean? :meh:

i'm half english, and speak with an english accent. plus i trust the population of india to be less discriminatory than some people.

one of my best friends (another georgia, she used to post here) is in india at the moment. she has been for the past 2 years, and she says that people are nothing but welcoming and friendly.

:meh:

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My best friend is Indian and says they slightly frown upon Americans because we are ignorant, arrogant, etc.

16. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    does he live in india?

and what do you mean we? ;)

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    (He goes there for summers)
    Are you un-American?

18. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    um, i don't know what you mean by un-american :p

but i am certainly not ignorant (arrogant, sometimes ;) )

i've lived alternatly in england and america (well, los angeles) all of my life so i guess i'm not your typical ignorant, arrogant american. if that's what you meant.