1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thoughts on the Hofner replacement pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Simski, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Does anyone have a thought on the Hofner bass pickups that are sold as replacements? I am looking for pickups for a homebuild bass and saw that Thomann sells these and they are not terribly expensive and they look the part but are they any good?

Alot of people like the Beatle bass because it's a Beatles bass so before I make any investments I would like to hear any opinions on these.

Here is a link to the pickups in question: http://www.thomann.de/dk/hoefner_pickup_62_h511b.htm

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    They're made by Hofner, eh? I'd imagine if you like Hofner pickups and your bass is made with a string spacing that isn't too wide for them, they'd be what you want. Can't expect them to turn a non-Beatle bass into a Beatle bass, though. That's all about the combination of the pickup with the hollow bodies and where they're placed. For what kind of bass are you considering them?

3. Hi there. I am not really going for a Beatle bass sound. I am just going through the market for potential pickups to use in my home build bass and thought the style of the pickup would go along nicely with the build. I had planned to use a pair of Jazz Bass pickups but it would be nice to have something that looked different and perhaps had a different sound than a J-bass. I was also looking at Rickenbacker pickups but they are a lot more expensive.

So - I don't expect them to make me sound like the Beatles, I was just looking to hear what you thought of them: are they any good? Do they sound alright? However, if they are particularly narrow, then they probably won't work. I am using a Jazz Bass string spacing.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well Hofners aren't known for their wide string spacing. I'd definitely investigate that before I plunked down cash.

5. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    Allparts stock one, probably made in China, and probably not that different from the Höfner staple ones. Curtis Novak also makes one and it is probably better value than the Höfner. I prefer the blade style 500 pickup which I had on my 70's Beatle bass, they are not as desirable as the staple pickups, but technically they are better to me, more forgiving on string spacing etc, and sound no different to me, but to some velvet ears who can tell the difference between flat wound basses and 1960's recorded sounds, and who can tell what brand of drums were played in a recording, may probably disagree with me and my pig's ears.