Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thoughts on "The Improvisor's Bass Method"

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by LoJoe, Sep 10, 2003.

1. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    My instructor is in the habit of writing out his lessons free hand with a mix of notation, comments, and specific instructions. He's always said that he's not a big fan of method books, however recently suggested that I might find great value in The Improvisor's Bass Method Does anyone have any feedback on this book? Worthwhile? Thanks!

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I have seen this one and browsed through it in shops - I have loads of bass method books and am always looking through music shops - but I wasn't inspired to buy this one - can't remember why though?

3. I have a few books and this is the only one I really use. I also use it to teach from. Since so much of bass playing is improvisation, it's good to get right into it. The book demands that you work with it though. It will say stuff like here is a scale, here are 20 fun things to do with a scale to TEACH YOURSELF what it sounds like and how to finger it. The exercises are kind of brief and then you are expected to just go on and on experimenting on variations. It's great if you actually do that.

Also, there's a bunch of killer transcriptions in the back.

4. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    Thanks for the feedback. I just ordered it for 16 bucks. Improvisation is where I need to focus anyway. All I get in my bands is a lyric sheet with some guitar chords scratched on top of the words here and there. I need to be better able to turn that into music!

5. redjeep!

redjeep! Guest

Jan 19, 2002
    Dublin
    I'll add my vote for this book. It's my main method book - like c-ba55 said it introduces you to things , gives you some examples and then sends you off on your own.

Highly recommended.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The book is definitely worth $16.

7. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I also have it. It's actually the only bass book I have. Good stuff! :)

8. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    A steal at twice the price. I've actually worn out copies. It's pretty much a required reference book IMO.

9. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Yep, good book. many many many excercises and mucho grado informatión.

sometimes it doenst explain things in the easiest way possible, but that's an individual thing.

if it's mateial and exercises you're after, then this really is a good one.

10. chardin

chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    The exercises alone are worth the price of the book. If you have any trouble coming up with practice ideas, this book will give you hours and hours worth.

11. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

If you don't buy it for any other reason, it has some great sheet music in the appendix that make wonderful reading practice.

I will say this, however, this is the kind of book that will help you even more if you have a good teacher to guide you through it. There's a wealth of material in this book, but a teacher can provide the inspiration and perspective about the material that may motivate you to get the most from the book.

12. sedgdog

sedgdog

Jan 26, 2002
    Pasco, WA
    That is a great book. If you are looking for improv. help may I also suggest "Bass Improvisation - The Complete Guide to Soloing" by Ed Friedland. It's available from carvin.com if you can't find it locally. Both books are excellent, but different. Good Luck!
    Tim

13. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    Thanks for the feedback all. The book finally came in yesterday. Looks promising. I'll be taking it to my lesson next week to see what my teacher and I come up with for it. Looks like some fun stuff.