1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thoughts on the Musicman SUB series?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RedKestrel, Dec 19, 2018.

1. RedKestrel

RedKestrel

Feb 20, 2016
    Hello all,
    I am looking at buying a 5 string bass, and was thinking about the SUB series from Musicman.

I currently play a Fender MIM P, and a PRS SE Kestrel J bass, but I think getting the cheaper SUB basses may be a bit underwhelming.

Should I consider spending a bit more and getting the Sterling basses? Or would the SUB range be good enough quality?

2. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    I just bought one for keeping at a studio and because of the neck and the low end punchiness. I think you may need the neck "dressed" (remove the sharp edges) and the output is Crazy high (disallowing many dirt boxes) but hitting the compressor in a very nice way for an attack on the low end...rolling off the active trebel you get a sound that a reggae bassist could use...it's a good sounding bass. The neck is unusual for me because it's 34", my other 5s are 35 and the string width is similar to my Lakland and Schecter CV, a bit wider than a schecter Studio which is too tight) but I love the more rounded shape of a Stingray neck copy and I think it's mass contributes to this bass's solid low end. I bought one also because lately I have been getting a great sound from my Ibanez RB400 which is a great stingray copy with an added jazz pu near the neck, the humbucker near the bridge concept can sound wonderful as long as the high end is under control...I string that thing BEAD. I'm using DR Blues, punchy without too much highs, and smooth.

3. IMO, the Sterling line is an enormous improvement over the SUB. Almost EBMM quality. I'd keep my eye out for a used one.