Thoughts on the new Guild Starfire I Bass...would you get it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazzman64, Jun 9, 2021.

1. jazzman64

jazzman64

Apr 16, 2021
    Brooklyn, NY
    Agreed about how the pickup looks...but it truly does sound amazing!! But I can't stop looking at it and the price is perfect!!! :thumbsup:
    2-7-1500x630.png

bobyoung53 likes this.

2. I've toyed with getting one of the two pickup models for a long time now, I love Jack Casady's sound on the old Jefferson Airplane stuff.

jazzman64 likes this.
  3. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Very nice bass - sounds really good in the 'vintage' setting. :thumbsup:

4. drewphishes

drewphishes Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2017
    I wish they made a good hollowbody with a wider neck

jazzman64 likes this.
  5. jazzman64

jazzman64

Apr 16, 2021
    Brooklyn, NY
    Would you buy this one?

6. If I didn't already have two many basses I may, I think it actually sounds as good if not better than the two pickup model but I'd like to hear one also with La Bella DTB on it, all I've heard is one with round wounds, totally different sound.

7. Barton Lee

Barton Lee Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2018
    I voted for "buy this one". At that price point, it appears to me to be a very good value. The sounds Low End Lobster got out of it in his excellent review are enough evidence for me and it looks good even with the "unusual" split coil pickup.

If cost of entry isn't the issue though, the Starfire II is worth the extra coin. To me, it's a bit like comparing a good P bass to a nicer J bass. The Starfire I sounds like it will do one thing really well (I slightly preferred the "vintage" tone) while the Starfire II is more versatile. Favor the neck pickup and you're in P bass land; favor the back and you're in J or Ric territory. Full on volume with both is not as scooped as a J and the neck pickup soloed has its charm. The bridge pickup with just enough neck pickup added works for me when I'm playing Jaco or Berlin bits too. My Starfire II is strung with TI Jazz flats which after six months of daily use are hitting their stride.

I'm a Fender guy mostly but really digging my 2017 Starfire II and looking forward to using it at real gigs come July. After playing a Jerry Jones Longhorn for ten years as my main player, the neck dimensions of the Guild are comfortable enough and the semi-hollow body w/Bisonics sound even better to me than that estimable bass. As always, YMMV.
    20201226_104859(1).jpg

Happy Face, LowEndLobster and JIO like this.
  8. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    I would go as far to say that anyone who doesn't currently own a hollow-body bass of any brand or style would love one - they add so much to the mix.

9. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    I would definitely go for this version if in the market... I'm a big fan of the Darkstar pu's.

10. I'm most interested in how this bass balances on a strap. Any neck dive? I didn't see that or hear it mentioned in the review video. Can anyone provide real life info on that?

jazzman64 likes this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021