Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

thoughts on the pearce bc-1

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DerekP, Sep 16, 2005.

1. DerekP

DerekP

Jul 24, 2005
    Toronto, On
    i just want to know peoples opinions on the preamp and i cant see to find much info on it does it have a distorion built in>?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I wanted one of those for a long time! If I remember it had 2 channels and an adjustable gain for each... it dialed in some cool overdrive

3. DerekP

DerekP

Jul 24, 2005
    Toronto, On
    i have a chance to trade my swr 550x for the pearce, a yorkville y1200 power amp and a 6 space skb case, the guys coming over to let me try it out and also try out the swr, do uthink thats a fair trade? obviously im going to go on sound but i mean in terms of price wise?

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The BC-1 is a lot of fun... Mine was leaking "magic smoke" when I bought it...turned out that one opamp went into meltdown and fused itself to the socket... A cheap and easy fix. I paid less than 10% of what that eBay auction went for and spent $5 in parts and popped for a schematic from DB Electronics in Buffalo...that was $20.

Each channel is capable of overdrive. My BC-1 doesn't have the Billy Sheehan Mod that Pearce offered as an option. I never have been able to get my hands on a schematic showing the Billy Mod...

Looking at the schematic, each channel is slightly different so the distorted tone should be different as well.

The output level is low compared to most modern bass preamps...I custom ordered my QSC PLX2402 to take that into account.

The back panel is covered in jacks...all sorts of patch points...unfortunately, none of them footswitchable (you can use a footswitch to change channels though). Mine didn't come with a footswitch but I found a two button Peavey footswitch in a pile of misfit toys at a local music shop so I was back in business for another $10. I wired it so that I could switch between or combine the channels.

The combine function worked well. At the time I was using it a lot, I used an Acme B2 and a EVM15 in an EV TL606 cabinet. I ran the Acme from the clean channel only and the 15 from the main (combined) preamp output. That way, I could be playing clean through both cabinets and then stomp on one button to add distortion to the 15...saved the Acme's tweeter and was a lot more musical with plenty of solid low end.

I don't have an owner's manual, but you really don't need one.