Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thoughts on these basses? Anyone play/try any of them?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Grahams Groove, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Hey everyone,
    I am in the market for a new bass, and here's what I like...

I liek the overall tone of stingrays, and I also really liek the sound of warwick. I am looking for a nice bass to give me versatile tone, but in particular, good slap and fingerstyle tone. I play in a jam/rock band. My 'thing' is solid/ample Lows...Very good, punchy low mids and mids...solid high mids, and clear (but not harsh) highs...so I want a sound that will cut through the mix well, but still provide solid low end so I can rumble some chests when necessary.

I am looking at the following...
    Warwick Rockbass Corvette SE
    Warwick FNA
    Ibanez SRX 700...

Any other suggestions? Any thoguhts on these basses?

I am kind of going for a Rob Derhak type of tone...(the bass player from moe.)...but I'm not looking for identical...thats just an idea to base my tone from.

Also, I know he uses the SRX series ibanesz, but I'm keeping all options open...

Thanks
    Graham

2. rob derhay plays stingrays, and he plays a modulus. if that helps at all.:)

3. No,
    He used to play stingrays...and that was a custom MM style 5'er...not a modulus. He recently switched to the Ibanez SRX series though...he no longer plays the rays...

4. not to be an a-hole, but i'm almost positive he plays a modulus. at least he did when i saw him play a show in boston in july. looked like a flea bass.

5. I know the one your talking about...the like metallic blue one with a white pearloid pickgaurd (I htink thats what you are talking about)...has like a captain america sticker on it I believe. but I was told that it is a custom MM style 5 that he had made.

But if that is a modulus...my mistake. The MM swicth to Ibanez I am sure about though...

I'm curious as to why he like sthem better...

6. Well...
    After consulting some pics, you win the modulus battle. I wish I could remember who it was that told me it was a custom made bass. Good call...

You shoudl see the pictures of his new Ibanez custom SRX...It looks real nice!

Anywho...on with the comments and help...anyone????