1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thoughts on this Fender, real deal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Catmandoo, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Catmandoo

Catmandoo

Mar 3, 2018
    Nova Scotia
    Hey folks,

Just wondering your thoughts on this bass. I have played And it’s great and looks fantastic..but I can’t confirm if it’s an authentic Fender Masterbuilt Jason Davis bass.

I also found a stamp under the front pickup that says JQD... would the be Jason Davis initials ?

Thanks for the input.

For background this was a bass that apparently came from Jason’s personal collection and was a demo or prototype bass that Fender never officially sold. As such it has no COA or serial.

Attached Files:

2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    It doesn't look counterfeit, but the lack of documentation should be reflected in the price.

3. Troberts 98

Troberts 98

Jan 30, 2017
    OMG, that’s stunning. I don’t know if it’s authentic but clearly a very nice instrument.

jam.majors and InhumanResource like this.
  4. Catmandoo

Catmandoo

Mar 3, 2018
    Nova Scotia
    Thanks for your thoughts .... that’s kind of where I’m at. I really dig it but also want to know what I’m getting. Unfortunately reading about fake Fender Custom shops on google is like looking up your medical concerns on google. Things get dark quickly.

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It looks like it has a production date on it. Contact Fender’s Custom Shop, it should be in their records.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  6. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Yeah. Without documentation or independent authentication you basically have to value it as if it was an unbranded one off. How much you like how it feels, sounds and looks is your only guide.

Bass Man Dan and 4 Strings Good like this.
  7. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    An awful lot of detail looks right on this bass. For instance, the detail of the copper strip from bridge to back pickup. I had a CS Fender that came with this feature. Mine also also had the "relic" stamp, albeit under the pick guard.

The only detail that looks unfamiliar to me is the "master built" stamp on the back of the headstock. But that is because I have not encountered on previously. But I can find similar on the web.

masterbuilt stamp.

8. Catmandoo

Catmandoo

Mar 3, 2018
    Nova Scotia
    Thanks for the reply’s everyone... anyone else notice anything that does not seem correct?

Does the JQD stamp mean anything to anyone ?

9. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    This Jason Davis stamp has a number like the example I provided above.

I would dig around and see if the lack of digit on "yours" is a common anomaly for the period in question -- Fender can be all over the place with such discontinuity, so it doesn't necessarily indicate anything nefarious.

jason davis.

10. Catmandoo

Catmandoo

Mar 3, 2018
    Nova Scotia
    I’m told this was one of his personal basses, perhaps built as an unofficial prototype and never actually sold. I suppose this could explain the lack of a serial number.

Thanks for the info!

Son of Wobble likes this.
  11. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Found this on Reverb.
    Same autograph on the inside of the neck (2005) as yours, me thinks.

4 Strings Good likes this.
  12. I like it. Looks legit.

13. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Master built?! They didn’t even remember to put frets on the neck!

I will show myself to the door, but first let me know where it’s being sold. You know... so... so I can avoid it at all costs or something.

craigie, Flooflox, bassbully and 25 others like this.
  14. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Looks legit. I can’t relate to “relic” finishes, so that would be a deal breaker for me. But it looks to be a very nice bass regardless of my hangup.

I’d agree with some of the earlier comments about documentation or lack thereof. With something like that bass you’d want some sort of provenance to back it up. If there isn’t any, or it’s not included, that should be reflected in the price.

15. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    I think this is the first time I’ve seen a “does this look legit?” thread come out as a “yes!” :)

geof_, Leo Smith, ak56 and 7 others like this.
  16. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    I'd contact the CS and see if they have any records on this. The only oddity seems to be the lack of a serial #, but I'm no expert on CS instruments. Looks really nice, and the neck stamps look legit.

17. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Also, the "RELIC" stamp is something Fender does, but on the Mexican basses, it's on the front under the PG.

18. dr_gonzo

dr_gonzo

Apr 27, 2017
    Just had chime in and say what a beautiful bass that is. Nothing quite like an unlined jazz.

19. Needs a refinish -it's very tatty. But nice!

20. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    I curious about the date disparity between the body and neck.

Very nice bass.