Thoughts on this particular Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rockin John, May 7, 2004.

1. I am pondering the purchase of a particular Fender Jazz Deluxe. However, I don't know whether it's a good buy or not as my knowledge of Fenders is scant to say the least.

Before describing the bass, I must say that I've absolutely no reason to suspect that this instrument is anything other than what the seller says it is: a USA Fender Jazz Deluxe. The seller has provided me with pics but I can't really use them cos I don't have his permission.

The colour is a light metalic green. It has a white-ish pearloid scratchplate and matching pearloid position markers on the neck. The fretboard is rosewood. The bass is mid 1990s. The pics show a 4 knob layout indicating that it's active.

It comes complete with the Fender Hard Shell Case.

The seller asks in the region of £850: that seems somewhat high to me for a 10 year old bass unless there are good reasons why he thinks it's worth that sum. But, a brand new FJ Deluxe can be had for £1079 in UK.

There are loads of questions I've posed the seller and have asked for the Serial Number. I will have the opportunity to view the bass before parting with my money.

Help appreciated.

2. IMO, if you can get a new FJ for 229 more I would get the new one. Remember Fender has a warranty for the first owner not the second......
  3. OK. Thanks. I didn't realise that. Fender speak of a lifetime warranty. What does that mean: is it all parts and labour?

I've decided I wouldn't spend £850 even if I had that money. It's too much. About 1/2 to 2/3 the new value seems about right, from what I've seen.

But perhaps you know about the colour? I know Fender made green basses: was this metalic green made on mid 90's Jazz Deluxe?

4. I don't remember that color but teal green metalic was an option during that time frame.
  5. Tyler Dupont

Tyler Dupont Wesly Headpush

I just bought a 2004 fender jazz corona...I payed $1600 canadian after tax... it's just sweet.. sounds great and plays like sex.. the new models come with an S1 switch (series/parallel) which gives it a bass boost and is suppost to sound like a precision when it's engaged.. I have a spector NS2000q.. I dont even wanna touch it anymore, it just doesn't compare ... IMO I think everyone should have a jazz bass in their one dude.. you only live once :D

6. I have yet to try the S1 switch, so you say it's good huh ?

Gonna have to make a trip.....
  7. You're right. £850 is way over the top even for a relatively new one.

If you look in freeads or loot you see the same thing all the time. People will price a secondhand instrument based on the RRP. But most Fenders are heavily discounted new anyway.
  8. Mackie

Apr 1, 2004
    Dublin, Ohio USA
    I've only recently started playing bass, but I have tried the new jazz with the S1 switch and I thought the tonal difference was a nice feature. I would think it would help with resale value as well.

If you do have a jazz type bass and like the sound of the "seires/parallel" switch, the TB pickup forum has a thread for making this modification, so if you're handy with a soldering iron you could do it for peanuts (under $10 I think).

Anyhow if you're looking at the American Fender Jazz you might want to take a look at the new ones.
  9. Andy Martin said:
    Well, it does seem a nice piece but I've suggested £650 be more realistic. We'll have to see what happens from there.

10. If you're after that particular model of Jazz, then you may be able to pick one up for little more than £850 if you've got that sort of cash available.

Peter Cook's in Hanwell, West London is worth a try. I've bought several basses there and it's about the cheapest place around.