1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thoughts on this proposed Warmoth build?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by theelectic, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Hi folks. Just wanted to get any thoughts on this bass I'm thinking of putting together from Warmoth parts. I'm looking for a P-Bass tone crossed with a Thumb, with Thumb looks (wood-wise) and J-Bass neck feel. I like that clacky high end but with low end growl and fretless mwah, if that makes any sense?

- solid bubinga P-Bass body
    - Wenge J-Bass neck, fretless ebony board
    - single EMG-P pickup
    - other electronics; undecided.

2. Jefenator

Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Based on your description of what you want, this sounds like a good plan to me! As you probably already know, Warmoth has great QC and the wood options seem appropriate for that Thumb-esque look & sound.

3. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    Sounds good, but it'll be one heavy bass what with the wood and Warmoths neck construction.

4. +1

5. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    tick the forklift option on the site :)

sounds great thou!!

6. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    what about a light wood body with a bubinga cap? i ordered an all wenge neck for a lightweight jazz bass i have and i can really tell the difference when picking it up even with the hipshot lightweight tuners. it's still kind of light but closer to middle weight (i have an 11 pound precision, unless you really want a heavy bass you'll want to avoid that). i wonder what a chambered bubinga top would weigh?

7. Ya the weight issue did pop up into my head, but I've never really had issues with weight/balancing a Thumb (neck through though - not the bolt ons) so I don't think it's going to be an issue with this build.

I'm also leaning towards a Badass II bridge and regular (not ultralight) tuners. Anyone have suggestions for preamp/electronics? At this point I'm leaning towards an EMG BQC, which is treble, bass, mid, mid-freq, on two stacked concentric pots.