Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thoughts on this rig - All good or Stupid?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheLarch, Feb 27, 2003.

1. TheLarch

TheLarch Supporting Member

I was able to pick up very cheaply (IMHO) on Ebay a SWR Goliath III Jr (8 ohm) cab and a matching SWR Workingman's 300 head for a TOTAL of $310 for both plus shipping.

Here's my proposed rig:

Ampeg SVT-III Pro into the SWR Goliath III Jr.

Does anyone foresee any problems or potential issues with this as the cab is 350 watts (RMS) at 8 ohms and the head is rated at 275 (more likely 225 at most) watts (RMS) at 8 ohms?

Here is the basic specs as to how it will likely be run:

1) I play a G&L ASAT and Epiphone Jack Casady. I do roots-rock/alt-country/rockabilly.

2) The previously mentioned Ampeg SVT-3Pro (tube gain at least 75% up usually)

3) I'm looking to add more bottom which my Avatar 210 lacked (I'll probably sell the Avatar on Ebay or hey! - make me a reasonable offer)

4) I live in NYC and do the vast majority of my shows in NYC. I don't have a car and rely on the subway, or taxi when I'm feeling sassy. TRANSPORTABILITY IS KEY!!!! The SWR is not light at 55 lbs, but it beats rolling around a 410 or 2-12's. Because NYC transportation is so difficult, I won't be able to do the obvious and run both cabs at the same time as a 410 at 4 ohms.

I'll likely put the Workingman's 300 up on Ebay or post it for sale here. However, if you have a cool trade - I'm certainly open to that. I'm open to swapping the head for a decent 12.

In fact, I'd even be willing to swap the Ampeg, and/or the SWR Workingman's 300 and/or the Avatar or some combination of the above for a Mesa Walkabout or M-Pulse or EBS 350 or SWR 350. Throw some cool ideas at me!

Thanks!

Stephen

2. Hey Larch, I'm in NYC too. Let me know where you're playing sometime. Just no late night middle of the week gigs, okay? I'm gettin' old. :D

Mike

3. TheLarch

TheLarch Supporting Member

Michael - I'll definitely keep you posted!

I am currently what the Japanese call a "Ronin" - a samurai warrior scouring the country for a new master to serve.

I recently quit my last project, not so coincidentally called "The Larch" due to a pretty awful "Yoko" situation in that band. So I'm currently trying to set up a new project. If fact - I'd even like to change my handle here to RoninBass if it hasn't already been taken; No point in being a flack for my old band.

Stephen