Thoughts on vintage pups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by screamingdaisy, Oct 23, 2005.

1. I need a new P and J pickup and that quote pretty much describes exactly what I'm looking for.

It's going into an Godin 4 string (maple neck and body) and I'd prefer to stay passive, and it'll be used through an Ampeg SVT-2Pro and 6x10.

I'm thinking something along the lines of Fralin's or Duncan Antiquities.....

....anyone have any experience with these pups? Or any ideas/suggestions regarding others that'll give me what I'm after?

Cheers. :)

2. How do they work? Do I just tell them what I'm after and they suggest some poles/winds and what kind of sound they'll give?
  3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    "Fat, warm, punchy, and smooth" perfectly describes the Seymour Duncan SPB-2 Hot for P-bass I installed a couple of months ago. In fact, I might like a little more raw, and less smooth, but I love it overall. It has a vintage vibe, with high output. You could get a matching J, either Hot for J-bass or Hot Stack (noiseless).

But for the ultimate vintage tone, I'd probably go Lindy Fralin for a P/J set, which comes with a Spit Jazz. I have a pair of those in my J, and they're excellent. Lots of clarity and classic J growl, with zero hum. I've tried Fralin's P-bass pickup in a Lakland Bob Glaub, and it's fantastic as well.