Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thoughts on vintage pups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by screamingdaisy, Oct 23, 2005.

1. I need a new P and J pickup and that quote pretty much describes exactly what I'm looking for.

It's going into an Godin 4 string (maple neck and body) and I'd prefer to stay passive, and it'll be used through an Ampeg SVT-2Pro and 6x10.

I'm thinking something along the lines of Fralin's or Duncan Antiquities.....

....anyone have any experience with these pups? Or any ideas/suggestions regarding others that'll give me what I'm after?

Cheers. :)

2. How do they work? Do I just tell them what I'm after and they suggest some poles/winds and what kind of sound they'll give?

3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    "Fat, warm, punchy, and smooth" perfectly describes the Seymour Duncan SPB-2 Hot for P-bass I installed a couple of months ago. In fact, I might like a little more raw, and less smooth, but I love it overall. It has a vintage vibe, with high output. You could get a matching J, either Hot for J-bass or Hot Stack (noiseless).

But for the ultimate vintage tone, I'd probably go Lindy Fralin for a P/J set, which comes with a Spit Jazz. I have a pair of those in my J, and they're excellent. Lots of clarity and classic J growl, with zero hum. I've tried Fralin's P-bass pickup in a Lakland Bob Glaub, and it's fantastic as well.