1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thoughts On Why The Big Players Are Not Making A Stand Alone Low + High Pass Filter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PJ Bassthumper, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Good evening,

I've been looking to buy a Broughton Low + High Pass Filter and I see that on the Broughton page they are out of stock and any pedal that shows up in the TB classifieds is snatched up immediately. I decided to check for alternatives to the Broughton and I came across the Fdek HPF series 3 but it's missing the LPF same, with the sfx mini Thumpinator. I also came across a Rafferty HPF on Reverb that seems to be a clone of the Fdek and made in Ireland.

The next line of thinking is to go with a Tech 21 Q strip as it has both a HPF and a LPF but it's more than double the price of the Broughton and the two filters are not adjustable like the Broughton and I question weather I need the EQ of the Q Strip.

This led me to thinking, where are the big names? Why are they not producing a LPF + HPF? There are tons of threads on these filters, many claiming that especially the HPF is a must have for any gigging or recording musician.

Do you guys think the big names are missing out on an opportunity by not having a stand alone LPF + HPF pedal? Myself I would love to see a MXR, Boss, TC Electronic and others make these.

Anyways just looking to start a friendly discussion to see if anyone feels the same way I do, or to see if anyone has a theory as to why the big players haven't jumped on to this bandwagon.

bdplaid likes this.
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Prolly not enough volume of units to make it worth while.

3. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    It's not necessary and it's just hype?

4. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    You find HPF LPF on channel strips like on the AMS Neve consoles. Could be more of a studio thing?

PillO likes this.
  5. Because some things are considered to be a FOH / Studio desk issue. As bassists we like a LPF to reduce our top end hiss to the desk (our amps usually don't carry those upper frequencies) and a HPF on the amp side to protect our cones (especially where an octave is employed) as a precautionary. Most Pro's don't ask for this gear as it's usually taken care of by the roadie / Sound guys. Most Gear designers are quiet unaware of gigging Bassist's current requirements....just look at the plethora of bass preamps on the market. Most of them are re-jigged guitar preamps. It's like some said...it we swap this and this out...we can rebadge it and sell it to the bass niche market. So none of them cover the sort of items that I would look for in a bass preamp.

6. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    You can get that on some units that are available in the market.
    You've already mentioned the Q/Strip, but there are also some preamp for acoustic instruments that offer a hpf option. I had a Fishman Stage Platinum that offered that. Also the Sansamp Para preamp has that.
    A LPF option is more dificult to find.
    The Line 6 Helix line of units also have a high cut and low cut dedicated block that works really well. And every cab sim also offers that options.
    In the lower budget zone, you can use the Mooer Radar for that. If you bypass the cab sim and the power amp sections and only use the eq section, you can use it as a LPF and HPF. You can set the cut frequencies on each.

7. Thank you for your replies thus far.

@Stumbo you are probably right in that there is not enough demand for a product like that, otherwise the big players would be making them, however I haven't seen this much hype around an effect/tool in a very long time, a search on this very site or even Google will reveal a ton of info claiming using LPF + HPF on your live rig is like the second coming of Christ, especially with regards to the use of a HPF.

@Stan da man agreed it could very well be hype and once this flavor of the month has passed we will have moved on to something new and exciting, however I usually don't succumb to trends and yet I feel I really need one of these for both use in my live sound and in the studio.

@Correlli most likely it is just a studio thing and I need to get better at EQing my rig.

@GMC Your answer was really insightful and thought provoking. I guess if the HPF is being applied by the FOH for most if not all pro touring bands than the market becomes to small to justify catering to the weekend warrior, thus leaving us to deal with boutique makers, which isn't necessarily a bad thing as I would rather support a little fish than a big fish.

@Nunovsky thanks for the recommendations. Hopefully it will help others out.

chupacerveza and Nunovsky like this.
  8. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    If H/LPFs are good for the studio/FOH, why not for the stage since you're not always in the studio/FOH?

MrLenny1 likes this.
  9. They've been making combo units for years and years. Called Crossovers.

10. WorktheWood

WorktheWood Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2014
    I thought they were just hype until I tried one. I used an always on HPF for the last several gigs and my live tone was the best its ever been. Rooms that I've played in many times and have gotten less than stellar tone, I now get studio-like sound. It still sounds very full and deep but none of the boom and mud I was getting before. These are tools definitely employed buy the FOH guys and it makes perfect sense to use them on a live bass rig for the same reason. If I didn't use an amp and was in-ears only I wouldn't bother with having one, and would just let the sound guy take care of it for the PA. Same for studio. I'd just send my full signal and let the engineer take care of it in the mix.

11. Col Pruse

Col Pruse Supporting Member

May 28, 2003
    Savannah, GA
    Looks like they are back in stock. That's when you want to get one, when they're in stock...

12. I bought a new cab a month ago and tried it out with my head in the music store when it was a quiet day as I was working 4-12 at the time and was able to go in a week day, I really loved it and bought it, I got a GK Neo 410 which is known to be a little dark sounding but in my rehearsal space anything from low A to low E sounds terrible no matter how much knob twisting I do on my GK Fusion 500. Sounds like a HPF would protect my speakers and tighten up the low end, conversely the LPF would take the high end stuff like unwanted string noise.
    I'm really interested in the Broughton LPF + HPF all in one pedal, I just wish I could walk into a store and by one.

13. Ha ha thanks so much Col Purse for the info. I've been checking multiple times a day every day for a little over a week now, needless to say I just ordered one.

chupacerveza, B-Lo and Stumbo like this.
  14. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Traditionally, a stage hpf/lpf is a cab.

Curtbass, Frank77, Mushroo and 8 others like this.
  15. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Thoughts On Why The Big Players Are Not Making A Stand Alone Low + High Pass Filter

Rickenbackers have had the high pass filter by way of a .0047 capacitor since the 1960s

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  16. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    There has been plenty of gear made over the years that stealthily includes HPFs, but historically, trying to market tools to bassists that claim to decrease low-end was akin to marking suicide.

Obviously the trend has changed, at least among online forumites.

17. I think you hit the nail on the head. As some bass heads are including a built in HPF like the Mesa Boogie Subway 800 plus along with various EQ and dirt pedals maybe there just isn't a market for a pedal like Broughton's LPF + HPF all in one and besides if the big pedal players got involved it could potentially hurt sales for the boutique pedal makers which wouldn't be good. If I worked for a company like Boss I'm sure I would be constantly looking at music forums to see what is trending and thus coming up with ideas for new products.

BurtMacklinFBI likes this.
  18. This. Couldn’t hear myself well in the rehearsal room and my lows were too muddy/boomy. Normally I’d just turn up. Instead I turned the HPF up a half notch and there I am cutting thru the mix like a knife through butter.

19. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    Sunny California
    Professional PA systems have HPF and LPF built into the amps or the controller, plus more are going IEM.

chupacerveza and Afc70 like this.
  20. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    One very interesting feature offered by the Kustom DE300 HD is that if offers a HPF and a LPF, as well as notch filtering. And it also offers cab sim on the xlr out.
    It's funny that a 260 euros head can offer features that you can't find on other heads that cost over 3 or 4 times the cost of this one...

chupacerveza and Stumbo like this.