1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thoughts on Yamaha Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by acoustic58, Mar 29, 2015.

1. acoustic58

acoustic58

Mar 18, 2015
    I have been looking at Ibanez bass guitars and that is because of the small neck size and the credentials that go along with the Ibanez name. I was at a guitar store yesterday and I picked up a YamahaTRBX304. ( selling for $350.00 ) My first impression was that it looked like it was made better than the SR 200,300 and 400 that I previously tried out. I then put a SR 300 next to the above yamaha and to be honest, I would have to be looking through a microscope to be able to see the difference in neck width. To the eye, both looked identical but for some reason all I ever read about is how Ibanez has the narrowest neck.

Has anyone had any experience, good or bad, with Yamaha basses? Just by going by looks and feel, the Yamaha, to me , seems like a higher quality made guitar. Ibanez has a great name in acoustic, electric and bass guitars and they are probably one of the best promoted guitar brands out there. Then there are those that have told me that they felt that Ibanez bass guitars under $1,000 looks like very expensive toys because of their lack of weight and in some cases, a plastic looking body. I don't agree but I guess everyone has their opinion.

2. TrickPanda

TrickPanda

Feb 2, 2014
    I love them; got a Bex 4 and a TRBX305 and they're both fine.

3. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    What works for others may not be right for you so if the Yamaha ticks the boxes, then chances are it is right. They have a great reputation. Always trust your taste and experience. If it feels right, sounds right, plays right and the price is right, then come on down!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  4. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I go by feel, not measurement.

fourstringgirl likes this.
  5. That's what SHE said! ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist. What can I say, I play in bands with dudes and their gutter-humor is rubbing off!

6. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    For some it's Gibson, for some it's Fender or Alembic or Fodera or Yamaha. It's gotta attract you. The looks the feel. Just like a woman(or whatever). If she looks good to you the shows on.

7. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    I've have had an RBX and I have BB now. For neck thickness, it's not the thinnest but its not the thickest either.
    I've played the Ibanez SR basses in stores. They do feel a bit thinner, but not by that much. You'll notice the difference if you play a fat neck bass first.

What kind of music do you play? What kind of tone are you trying to achieve?

8. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    I've had a bunch of them, most were the old BB series from the 80's, though the newer ones I've tried at stores all played well. Personally I dont think theres a better bass out there for the money, Yamaha has been consistently good for a long time, I think that says something. I would not hesitate to buy one.

9. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Well played, my friend.

fourstringgirl likes this.
  10. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh

Apr 16, 2001
    ICT
    I really liked the old Motion basses from the 80's, as well as the 80's era BB's. Those where pretty slick. The new Yamaha basses look pretty cool, I'd really like to try a Sheehan Attitude bass.

11. Ken J

Ken J Hartford Hot Several Brass Band

Aug 19, 2011
    Middlefield, CT
    From experience you can do better for the money with other brands when comparing their lower end products. I have not had the opportunity with their upper end basses but look forward to trying some of their fretless.

12. GuiTuber

GuiTuber

Feb 19, 2015
    San Antonio, TX
    When I was looking for my first bass, I was considering Squier, Ibanez and Yamaha. I included Yamaha because of my experience with Yamaha guitars. They are solid instruments, especially at the lower end, where they shine when compared to other low end instruments.

My decision to go with a Squier was predominantly based on feel, which is a personal preference.