1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thoughts regarding...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mralex, Oct 30, 2010.

1. mralex

mralex

Oct 29, 2010
    Any thoughts on

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/basslines/progressive-1/scpb3_quarterpo/

im looking to upgrade the pickup in my no brand 60's Japanese (named sofi) her current pickup has the nice full warm sound i like, however its super muddy, from what i can tell the scpb3 will have the warm tone but also have good note definition. any sugjestions on good warm pickups would be nice too :D ive only got one pickup though so no P style pups or anything like that :/

Thanks!

2. mralex

mralex

Oct 29, 2010
    any at all?

3. mralex

mralex

Oct 29, 2010
    anyone have experience in this area?

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    that one's gonna be loud and kind of "attack-y". a good pickup, but more "aggressive" than "warm" unless you roll the tone knob down.

what does this bass look like? will the duncan even come close to fitting?

5. mralex

mralex

Oct 29, 2010
    you know i didn't think about fitting.

do you have any pickup suggestions then?

the bass is pictured below. the sliver piece comes off its not part of the pickup, i can take pictures of the hole either tomorrow or Wednesday, the local guitar tech as her to get set up and such.

Attached Files:

6. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    aint nuthin' gonna fit on that without a lot of surgery!

i'd leave it stock if i were you. maybe upgrade the pots, but that's about all the options you have that aren't a major undertaking.

7. mralex

mralex

Oct 29, 2010
    the pots are being replaced at the moment, the current pickup is muddy sounding is there something i could do to clean up the sound then? Currently on it are Ernie Ball Flatwounds with the stock pickup (no idea what it is)

8. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    rounds would be the obvious thing to try next.

that thing is never gonna be a tight and punchy fender, though.

9. mralex

mralex

Oct 29, 2010
    what about like a dimarzio will power neck pup?

from what i understand its a little smaller than the hole which that can be fixed easier than making it bigger so fitting shouldnt be an issue, what about tone? any experience, there's only so much youtube can tell you about it