1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thrash/Hardcore

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Depth_Charge, Dec 10, 2006.

1. I'm hoping not to open a can of worms here but could some people help me on this one, I'm a little ignorant of sub-genre's and I'm seeking a modern interpretation of "thrash" and "hardcore" metal, possibly with a few examples of current bands that represent each sub-genre.

Last time this came up for me personally, circa 1990 or so, Metallica, Megadeth and a few local Perth bands of similar style were considered "thrash" metal here, not just "heavy" metal...and at that point I stopped listening to my friends bicker about genre's and started listening to the music instead :D

Of course now it's become pertinent to know, and I don't.

Cheers,

2. Hardcore is a sub genre of punk for a start, mainly founded in the early 80s by DC Hardcore bands.

There were alot of crossover hardcore bands which were more a mix of punk/hardcore and metal.

Thrash metal to me, is usually just really really fast metal, but not technical stuff, usually reasonably easy but just played really fast!

3. Well, it was. Now in many circles hardcore refers to something that bears little resemblance to punk. It's kind of tricky to tell which a person is referring to when they say hardcore (which is why I specify hardcore punk when that's what I'm talking about), but if other people keep mistaking their music for screamo, you can be pretty sure it's the non-punk variety.

4. True, but im talking about what the actual genre of hardcore is, its just a pity people mislabel these things.

Its almost like saying linkin park is a blues band :scowl:

5. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    From what I can tell, Hardcore has breakdowns where the music gets slower and/or more melodic, and has vocal changes from coarse, harsh vocals, to also more melodic ones.

Thrash doesn't. It's fast and hard and stays that way. The vocals can be either, but they stay one way. Mustaine from Megadeth has a pretty clean voice, but he doesn't play around with it a whole lot, neither does Hetfield from Metallica. It might fluctuate, but not much and not repetatively for the whole song.

As for complexity, I don't know. There is some complicated thrash metal out there, but it doesn't have to be. I don't know about Hardcore. Not really my genre.

6. Yeah I checked out Wikipedia and found out a tonne of bands like Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, Slayer and the like fit the thrash category, which I was expecting being a bit of a metal head in my 20's.

Bands like Chimaeira, Killswitch Engage etc fit the hardcore label.

I'm genre ignorant and it's originals so I'll show up in me skin tight blacks, a long hair wig some fake tatts and just drop tune and play the lowest 16th root notes possible...that'll rawk em and win me the gig I'm sure :bag: