1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thrashed amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Spiffmeister, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Spiffmeister

Spiffmeister Meister of the Spiffs

Apr 26, 2012
    Belgium
    Hi guys!

I play a crappy small amp at home for rehearsing, an Ibanez BSA 15, which came with my very first bass a while ago. I don't feel like lugging my Ashdown around between rehearsals and home.

Anywho, I think something's busted. Whenever I play notes on the G-string, or on the D string starting from the G at the 17th fret, the sound gets distorted. I adjusted the teble on the amp and on my active bass, cut it maximally, and it still gets distorted. I also checked the pickup height, which is pretty OK.

Also, i dont get the distortion when hooking up to my PC or my Ashdown (which even has the treble boosted a bit).

So my question is, what exactly is busted? And, can it be fixed in any way? It's not a really big problem, it was a cheapo amp which I abused quite a bit, but still. It'd be nice to get a decent high tone out of it...

2. Has it ever worked with that bass?

It could be that the signal from the active bass is too hot?

Could be the speaker is disagreeing (fooked)?

3. Spiffmeister

Spiffmeister Meister of the Spiffs

Apr 26, 2012
    Belgium
    I think it used to work... I think I'm gonna try my other (passive bass), see what that does!

However, if the signal from the active bass is too hot, wouldnt cutting the treble completely solve that...?

4. No, but cutting the volume from it should help (if it is the problem).