1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

thread deleted, sort of, cant find that option, sorry

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Fatboy 2015, Mar 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fatboy 2015

Fatboy 2015

Mar 13, 2015
    forget about it

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
    Dominic DeCosa and 70'sRockChild like this.
  2. stigbeve

stigbeve

Sep 24, 2014
    I always thought a neck was supposed to have some relief

SunnBass likes this.
  3. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    You should be measuring the fingerboard not the fret's

4. Fatboy 2015

Fatboy 2015

Mar 13, 2015
    Sorry for writing a book but in sumation, if you feel you need to measure off you finger board because your frets are not leval you either need to re fret, or replace your neck dude.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  5. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars

Wow that was hard to read, and was one of the strangest posts I ever read. Did you really say that it is a bad thing to level high frets by sanding them level? Or that leveling frets weakens them?

hdracer likes this.
  6. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    That makes absolutely no sense at all

Firstly, fret height has absolutely no bearing on action, the levelness of the frets is all that matters. So no, grinding half the material off of the frets will not what soever help you achieve a lower action. Level frets and a good setup will give you low action.

Secondly, frets are made of metal, they are not that delicate, so even if you filed half the material off of the frets, they will still last for years before needing to be replaced.

Goatrope, mongo2 and hdracer like this.
  7. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    If what you are saying is true, a guitar or bass with mandolin wire frets would automatically achieve a lower action than medium jumbo fret wire. It absolutely makes no sense. Action is the distance between the bottom of the string to the top of the fret. Not from the bottom of the string to the top of the fret board. I have 30 year old instruments that are still on their original fret job. Frets will last a long time before they need to be releveled. Dignify it or not, its a fact.

mongo2 likes this.
  8. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Actually, he's one of our go-to guys along with Turnaround, 202dy, walterw, JLS and a host of others too long to list.

Riis

Tbone76, mapleglo and Goatrope like this.
  9. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx

Wow, If you get that upset over being corrected a public internet forum may not be the best hangout for you. People did alot of crazy stuff to instruments in the 70s, it doesn't mean that it actually worked like they thought it would.

10. Fatboy 2015

Fatboy 2015

Mar 13, 2015
    That may well be, but it dosent justify being more than rude or insulting people, got no time for people of his demeaner in any aspect of my life......what so ever......every last detail I posted was 100% true, most of my knowledge has been obtained through spending time with world class luthiers that have been in the family business, here in Akron Ohio, since before I was born....their list of clients as well as their work are well known and respected, and have been on visa comercials. I dont know your bud from Adam, and frankly dont care to....fortunatly I discovered a handy little feature of this site, to aleviate that unfortunate situation. but He was not the only rude person I delt with...so Ill just observe and take things in, as ask an occasional question here and there, but Ill share NOTHING.

11. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    come on, Fatboy!
    Hopkins "pimp-slapped" me on the "poly vs nitro" debate and there was no ill-will. i still receive his expertise with open arms and Likes. it's a forum not a Deathmatch. :thumbsup:

SunnBass likes this.
  12. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Okay.

This thread, overall, is a little hard to follow but it did put me in mind of my buddy's, Nicci McFadden's, Les Paul which was nicknamed the "fretless wonder"....guess it embraces some of the elements you mentioned. Some of the approaches fall outside the realm of conventional wisdom. If you have any supporting / corroborating docs (links, youtube vids, etc), please share. We live by that old Algebra I adage "...show your work".

Riis

SunnBass likes this.
  13. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    Learn to take criticism, or be destined to fail.

14. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Sharing is the whole point of a forum. So let's share - facts, opinions, observations...
    But part of sharing is being open to differences of opinion - if it's done with respect.

15. Fatboy 2015

Fatboy 2015

Mar 13, 2015
    Its not that I cant take criticism, it someone coming out and calling me an out and out lier, I just dont appecite his overall,attitude, and consider the matter closed, I tried to be the bigger man,thinking I was simply misunderstanding him, but after the last exchange, I was. onvinced I was beating a dead horse. I dont lwike him, and and wont waste anyamore time on him. Im self employed, Im used to demanding cusustomers, (I work in the energy field, ie ruff necks), so I am NOT thin skined, there are lines in life, that one should be mindfull of, that guy not only dosent care about that simple rule of decent society, but it obvious he has created some persona, revoling around stomping those lines, an the bolting 100 yards beyound.

16. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    IBTL

Interesting discussion.

stigbeve likes this.
  17. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Don't make me turn this car around.