Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Threaded brass inserts

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jivetkr, Oct 27, 2004.

1. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    Where can you get these & is it an easy mod to install them in screw holes in the control cavity?

I just got a bass that has the battery in the control cavity & the screws dont have threaded inserts

2. Eldermike

Eldermike

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    http://www.ezlok.com/index2.htm

You might try this site.

Also, if I have a thread in wood that is stripped I use a method that has worked well for me. I take a tooth pick and insert in the hole, break it off flush. Then repace the cover and drive the screw.

3. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    Ive used the toothpick method also, but I was looking for a more permanent solution.

I'll check out that site....Thanks.

4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
  5. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    I've often wondered why more manufacturers don't use these. Just time I guess.

Dave

6. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I've got some that I purchased from G&L years ago. If you want them you can have them for shipping plus $2.00. I have 4. They are 11/16" long and approx. 1/4' in dia. and have chrome screws with them.
    All that you have to do is drill a slightly smaller dia. hole the depth of the insert (practice on a scrap piece of wood to determine correct hole dia.) and tap them in with a hammer and wood block.
    I'm not a fan of the threaded brass inserts because believe it or not they also eventually can strip out (both the tapped screw hole and the insert housing hole. Much easier to reduce the dia. of a small wood screw hole than the dia. of a brass insert hole.

7. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Or, if you epoxy them in they'll be there forever.

8. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I just wanted to chime in and say this has been a helpful thread for me as well. I too want to put some inserts in my control cavity, since I have a battery in there too.

9. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Actually they won't. They'll stay in until you want them out and then it's just a matter of judiciously applying heat with a soldering iron to break the glue. Epoxying metal inserts into wood is a good idea.

10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Personally, I'd like to see stainless steel inserts with brass screws - IMO you should always make the easy to replace part the one that's weaker!

Moving this to Setup...