Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Threaded insert information

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Groovecenter, May 24, 2004.

1. Ok, I have a warmoth deluxe five I want to fit with threaded inserts as opposed to the wood screws that I currently have in there. Can the inserts be installed over the existing holes that have been drilled?

I know Hambone is a strong believer in the inserts, and it just seems like a good idea to have a stronger, less likely to be stripped connection at such an important part of the instrument.

Just to clarify, what size would be best for the inserts? Another forumite used 1/4-20 size inserts. Is there anything else involved beyond drilling out the hole for the insert, installing the insert itself and then bolting on the neck again?

Thanks for the information and help

-Steven Q.

2. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
  3. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Your problem now will be thet on warmoth necks, existing holes are located too close to the edge of the neck to fit an insert :(

I've used M4 inserts and screws and I'm now switching t M6 inserts and joint connector screws like the ones found in furniture. This is what Sheldon Dingwall uses too, difference beeing that he uses a tapped thread in the neck wood rather than an insert.

Peace,
    JP

4. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    What are these? Pics?

5. I wouldn't worry too much about the Warmoth necks. I use threaded inserts on all of my basses - currently EZ-loks but I've used others. My first bass had a Warmoth neck and I used ¼-20 inserts without problem. These are a little too big - something I determined after the fact. Not too big for the neck but too big for the job. They were overkill and now I've dropped bach to using 10-20 threaded inserts on all of my necks.

EZ-lok has several other inserts that would be great. They have one that is a hex drive but it has a large flat flange on the top. Perfect for installing in a new neck under the fretboard during construction.

There is a difference between the "Finserts" that Fred has shown and the EZ-lok inserts I use. Finserts push into the wood and don't truly "thread". The other inserts actually are tapped into the wood. It's going to boil down to personal preference.

6. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    I use 8-32 brass knife-thread inserts and 1 1/2" oval-head stainless screws on our necks, and it works great. With the stainless being harder than brass, there's no risk of galling and seizing. You can use the stock neck plate, and the screw heads look stock when you're done. A regular twist drill follows a 1/8" pilot hole pretty well, you've just got to make sure the neck is sitting flat and square to the bit so it doesn't drill crooked.

Here's what is looks like when it's done: