Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Threaded neck inserts??

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by rumblethump, Dec 14, 2003.

1. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Where do you purchase threaded inserts? What size should I get for a jazz bass neck? Part# would be appreciated. TIA

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    You would have to get the matching machine screws as well. The standard wood screws will not thread into machine screw inserts.
    We don't use them but I would either look in an industrial supply catalog or try some of the Guitar parts suppliers and see if there has been enough demand for them to have it in stock.

3. rumblethump

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Thank you both for your feedback. Rockler had a PDF file which answered all my questions. Equipped with the PDF I'm going to the local hardware store today. If they don't have them I will order some from Rockler. Talkbass rules!

4. mslatter

mslatter

Apr 8, 2003
    Can you post the link to the pdf on the Rockler site? My inet's so slow today I can't successfully search for it.

OK, brass or steel for a neck connection? As a former trumpet player who has destroyed more than my fair share of instruments, I have this distrust of shiny gold things.

What size inserts for a neck? What size for a control cover (where, for looks, I'd be more than happy to use brass.)

5. rumblethump

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    http://www.rockler.com/tech/28803-811.pdf I think your questions will be answered here. For my purposes I am going to get Part # 33183. Apparently it takes a smaller diameter drilled hole in the neck. What size would our esteemed luthiers choose? Which would be better brass or steel? TIA

6. I use steel with stainless steel bolts for my attachments. I've used brass but only with stainless steel hardware because when a plain steel bolt and a brass insert come together, you can an electrolysis that can cause corrosion.

I've used brass and brass with good results also.

You'll have to experiment with the proper size hole for the wood it's going into. The knife edge threads of some inserts are designed for softer wood and may require a larger hole when used in hardwoods.

7. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Get the steel if at all possible. Brass is much easier to strip on the way in.

8. Speaking of stripping, the best are the hex drive inserts. Chuck a hexkey in the ol' drill press and use that to assist threading and driving. No chance of slippage or getting off course.

9. rumblethump

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I spent most of yesterday hunting down the dreaded threaded wood insert. After going to several hardware stores with a picture in hand, driving 150 mile round trip to a Sacramento fasterner store who said they had them but didn't, I finally found them at my local True Value Store. They only had the brass screw driver type, so I will be extra careful not to strip them. BTW .56 ea.

Because I don't have a drill press I think I will position a nut on a 1/4 - 20 hex bolt, lock it up against the the treaded insert, and use a socket with ratchet to screw in the inserts, at least until the insert is flush, then I will take it down another 1/16 with a big screwdriver.

Again, thanks to everyone for your assistance. I will post pictures of the Voxder when I get it finished.

10. Sounds like you've got things under control. You're spot on with the drive method you've chosen.

If the insert has the right pilot hole and it's still a bit hard to twist in, try a little bar soap on the threads. It helps as a lubricant.

11. TyKao

TyKao

Jun 29, 2003
    I'm having a hard time visualizing what you guys are doing.

So after you clamp the neck into place on the body and then drill through the heel and into the neck to create the pilot holes, are you installing the inserts in the neck only and then screwing in the machine screws through the heel and into the inserts? Or are you guys installing threaded inserts into the neck pocket of the body as well?

12. rumblethump

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    You only drill the NECK to accept the threaded insert. For 1/4-20, the hole in the neck needs to be drilled with 3/8" bit. I would highly recommend you use a drill press and not try it with a hand drill. The wood bits dig in quite rapidly and you could easily drill through to the fretboard. I also recommend the hex drive type if the can be found. In my area they were unavailable and getting the insert flush or even slightly below flush was a real pain. I succeeded but not without stripping one of the inserts first.

This explains it pretty well:
    PDF FILE

13. rumblethump

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    BTW I forgot to post pictures of the Voxder. Thanks to Pete over at the Dude Pit for hosting them! Also a big shout out to all the excellent help I received here on this project.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wired the pickup directly to the output just to see how it sounds. I'm experiencing single coil hum, but the tone is very punchy and unlike any other bass I have. Next I will install a volume and tone pot to see if this helps with the hum. I also will be switching strings to flatwounds. I will report back on the effects these changes make, but I'm very happy with the results so far. :D