1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Threatened of being fired (from 2 bands) because I won't take a spare bass...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by addylewis, Feb 11, 2019.

1. mstillman

mstillman

Dec 6, 2011
    Based on this thread, I'm taking a backup bass and a small amp w/XLR out to the current band's debut. One or both may sit in the car or offstage, but better to have and not need...

2. You've not read the part where I mentioned I'm blind in one eye which stops my driving ability...driving myself would be much better, but it's not an option for me

3. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    That would put a different complexion on things and those that are suggesting you're lazy. But I hadn't spotted it. I wasn't aware it disallowed you from driving.

addylewis likes this.
  4. It's ok dude, a few people have said it before on this thread :D:bassist:

TBH the BL's pretty good with lifts home from gigs, but has become stingier with them for pretty much anything else in the last few years (normally I have a 40 minute walk to the bus stop if we have rehearsal at the keyboardists house because it's in the wrong direction for him...but he HAS dropped me off near the stop a couple of times recently).

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  5. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    Heh, I still think you should edit the original post and throw it in there. Or months from now, you'll get a random notification about "WHAT KIND OF CAR DO YOU DRIVE WHERE YOU CAN'T FIT AN EXTRA INSTRUMENT?!?!! WHAT THE HECK MAN?!?!"

Only posting because I see this thread is still going strong at 42 pages, holy heck!

Hope you got along with your bandleader/friend in spite of this situation and I hope the gig went over well!

Happy Friday!

6. Yeah not a bad idea actually...

Is 42 pages a record for a thread which isn't a poll?

7. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    Probably not a record, but it's one of the longer threads I've seen where it didn't devolve into name calling or have the topic change entirely. Also, this thread had I think two separate spin-off threads that were also popular.

addylewis likes this.
  8. I've edited the OP...

9. leftyjohn

leftyjohn

Mar 20, 2018
    NW US
    For a while when I was younger than I am now I did not have a car and had to carry my bass every where. It got heavy. I don't think I would have carried two basses any where.

If the gig were paying a bunch then the OP could have taken a taxi/uber to the gig site and brought 3 or 4 bass guitars to ease the band's anxiety over gear failure.

10. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    It's Sheffield and Barnsley (no Rotherham?). You can't get an Uber there if it's Bob's night off.

leftyjohn likes this.
  11. You know, I think this whole debacle, and probably most of your problems with bandmates comes from your attitude. It's just bad, and you come off as a whiner. I'm really surprised that you're in a band at all.

12. If it were more fun and less serious it would help...we don't seem to have a laugh with it much anymore, the BL sometimes gets stressed and too particular about certain things (not what I'm doing per se, but...you know, it feels more like a "job" than a "band" as it were.) I've been in loads of bands and none of them have felt quite like this...it's not bad stuff to play like I've said, but I've not really been able to show much enthusiasm for it (I definitely wouldn't call myself an "Elvis Fan" - it's "Ok"...but I wouldn't/don't listen to him by choice. In the Rock'n'roll band a few old Elvis rockers - brill...but he lost "it" after 1960 IMO, then went all "big" with brass sections/choirs...not my thing lol)

We generally sound very tight, definitely the tightest version of any band I've been in with the BL - that makes it feel worthwhile at a gig...we're getting a new guitarist soon who I know is a good laugh, I think he might help it feel more fun/give it more energy so I'm going to stick it out for awhile (dare I liken this to George Harrison getting Billy Preston involved in the Beatles "Get Back" sessions to lighten the mood a bit...? Until this last year or so I didn't fully understand why that happened...but I guess I've realised that you NEED that sometimes if you've been working with the same people for ages and it's starting to become a bit boring/tedious/sometimes tense.)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  13. Scribbler

Scribbler

Mar 22, 2018
    Oxford
    7788ù88888ùù 77
    Addylewis is sounding off in a place where he hopes people will be a little sympathetic. It's one of the things a forum is good for.
    Personally, I reckon he's got a really good point.
    Also, being a forum, one (e.g. you) is of course allowed to express one's opinion but it's great if harshness can be avoided.

addylewis likes this.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Welcome to the internet :D

Scribbler likes this.
  15. Scribbler

Scribbler

Mar 22, 2018
    Oxford
    Indeed!

16. Thanks for clarifying that. I wouldn’t have caught it otherwise.

17. Scribbler

Scribbler

Mar 22, 2018
    Oxford
    You're welcome.

18. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    With Addylewis being effectively disabled (I checked and it is legal to drive here with monocular vision provided you meet overall sight requirements and so I conclude Addylewis does not) then perhaps the BL needs some sensitivity training. Before I realised the gig was in a village in Barnsley I thought public transport was more reasonable but it has been cut to the bone as subsidy for such less used routes have been cut and Barnsley has been an area hit with one of the heaviest if not heaviest level of spending cuts of around 40% of local government spending in an area with a high level of deprivation.

Scribbler likes this.
  19. Calvin Maine

Calvin Maine

Aug 22, 2018
    Or gear. Own Transport and good quality reliable gear. There is no compromise!

QORC likes this.
  20. Calvin Maine

Calvin Maine

Aug 22, 2018
    To be fair to this generation, you probably came from an era when people knew how to play their instruments properly and when such problems did arise, there was knowledge to negotiate troubled waters ie finding different ways of playing things on the hop..;-)

leftyjohn and Scribbler like this.