1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Threatened of being fired (from 2 bands) because I won't take a spare bass...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by addylewis, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Scribbler

Scribbler

Mar 22, 2018
    Oxford
    In many areas you'd be right to be cautious, but I managed on the London circuit while travelling on the Underground with my trusty Polytone amp on a trolley!

2. Not everywhere is as car friendly. I know a lot of people who choose not to have a car in London because it brings a lot of added fees (driving in London is crazy these days), and public transport is quite good.

I live in Edinburgh. I drive. Not every bandmate drives, but we're all relatively close to each other, so we organise ourselves to travel to gigs together. Drivers get extra money for petrol and general car costs. In another of my bands the drummer owns a minibus that we use to travel everywhere (8-piece, people plus gear in one vehicle). He also gets extra money for that.
    If you're a band, you work together and compensate those who put the most effort. Some other bands work on a more selfish manner, and if that works for you, great, but there are other ways.

That's not to mean you should tolerate lazy people who just won't chip in because they don't want to. When you all work together, if someone is lazy it sticks out and they won't last long anyway.

Munjibunga and Scribbler like this.
  3. I think I'm going to try bringing a microphone.
    If my bass goes down... I'll hum it ;)

Munjibunga, Scribbler and edro like this.
  4. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    I love all these people talking about how disruptive it is to take an unplanned break to change a string or such, but who leave the spare bass in the car. If you're going to bring a spare, at least have it handy enough that it can serve the purpose for which it's intended, which is minimal disruption to your set. If you're leaving it in the car, it's only going to save you from catastrophic failure but you will still need to take a break to get it.

5. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Leaving it in the car means you want it stolen. And if you do go and rescue it after breaking a string it's not very likely the car will have been at the same temperature as the venue so it's going to go out of tune pretty much immediately.

Munjibunga and LBS-bass like this.
  6. Lorenzo V

Lorenzo V

Jun 23, 2017
    I'm hearin' ya Attilla, I prob just have too much faith in my bass..maybe a bad thing!

7. I think it's a lot more likely your car will break down on the way to the gig...

in the end... if you have the room, why not take a spare? But it's hardly a problem if you don't... we're exaggerating both the likelihood and the impact that a failure could have. It's a matter of context. A typical relaxed gig at a local music bar, I can deal with easily. A wedding? I'll do my utmost to prepare myself against any gear failure.

We also need to emphasise that *maintenance* is a huge factor affecting reliability. If you look after your gear, and check it regularly, you'll be more likely to have zero failures during a gig. If you never pay attention and/or ignore those odd crackles or whatever and just wait until something really fails... well, guess what? ;)

Lorenzo V, GZboat and Calvin Maine like this.
  8. GZboat

GZboat

Feb 16, 2017
    [
    What mcnach said!
    Greg

9. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Maintenance can sometimes increase the chance of failure it seems! Fix it until it is broken.

Calvin Maine likes this.
  10. I guess you're joking...

If not you need to relearn what maintenance is. ;)

11. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Partly, but people, including me, have done 'maintenance' to fix a minor issue only to make it a major one... Sometimes two relatively untouched items are a safer bet than one that has been excessively 'maintained' to a fragile state.

addylewis likes this.
  12. putnitdownlo

putnitdownlo

Dec 15, 2013
    If you trust me to play bass, then you have to trust my every decision in that regard. Micro-management should not be necessary for adults! If you allow this type of stuff to start, it will never end. Trust me. It has absolutely nothing to do with music or being the band leader. As a professional bassist, I realize I am a sideman; not the main attraction, so to speak. As a professional, I do all professional stuff. Totally self contained. Learn the material, have pro equipment, my own transportation, show up ahead of time, etc. ~ respectfully, sometimes you have to let people know your position and exactly where you stand. I'm way over getting too attached to any one band. In fact,being in...just one band has rarely paid my bills; just saying, he's got options; you've got options. Don't be afraid to jump in another band! Screw him! If one feels they need to tell me...what bass to play, then, he probably doesn't really respect me as a bass player, and we're best parting ways. No need to be rude or loud, just...get my money, please; and...as the song goes, Goodbye to you! Lol! :bassist:

addylewis and Modulus 96 like this.
  13. Jari vanlaere

Jari vanlaere

Feb 4, 2019
    Belgium

14. Jari vanlaere

Jari vanlaere

Feb 4, 2019
    Belgium
    Sorry, I did misunderstand app.

Your job is to be on time...
    Being early (so you can be on time comfortably) can only be commended on your part.
    The only time when that would not hold up is if prior arrangments were made and you had to rely on each other to get to the gig or something. (Then the arrangements made would weigh trough i suppose)
    But that does not seem the case here.
    So I'd say there's no blame that befalls you.

Personally i'm confident enough that i wont take abuse of that sort and will tell others to step up their game if they dont want me to walk. But that is completly up to you.

15. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Can we get a grammar correction already?

16. Jari vanlaere

Jari vanlaere

Feb 4, 2019
    Belgium
    I don't know, can you? Ramdom person who rolled his face over the keyboard to create his username...

As english is my 5th language there's bound to be spelling and gramatical mistakes.

To assume is to make an ass out of u and me (maybe you've heard that one before)
    So now you've made yourself into an A-hole for the whole 'class' is there anything else you 'd like to say?

RodRy and addylewis like this.
  17. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Not you, the thread title. Talk about assumptions! Your English is excellent.

18. What's wrong with the grammar? Are people pissed off about the lack of full stop at the end or something?

19. Ouch...

20. More likely, they're referring to the use of "Threatened of" rather than the more standard "Threatened with."

It's not something that bothers me personally; I know what you meant. I've been a professional editor for 35+ years, but when I'm not on the clock, I tend to regard correcting people's spelling, grammar, or usage on the internet as largely a waste of time that I could be spending on something else. Except, maybe, if the misuse is really egregious, or really funny, but usually not even then. (The use of a sentence fragment was deliberate.)