1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Threded inserts... Where to find?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rojo412, Jan 26, 2003.

  1. rojo412

    rojo412 Walnut is fun! Supporting Member

    Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I am amazed at how difficult these are to find. I went to a woodcraft store... nothing. I have catalogs from LMII, Carvin (who uses them) and Stewmac and there's not a trace. I figured that these would be an easy find since they are such a good idea, but tho my chagrin, they are not.

    I need to find brass threaded inserts like Carvin (only company I can think of) uses for holding down a control cavity. Neck ones were available from Moses, but those would be a bit too big for a control cover.
  2. Brass? Dunno 'bout those, but I know that I've seen them at a local hardware store in Ithaca.

    Anyhow, ask on the luthiers' forum--Matt Schmill (FBB Custom) uses them and he'd probably know where to source them.
  3. Nate Dawg

    Nate Dawg

    Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    I found some brass inserts at my local True Value hardware store. They're currently installed in a Warmoth neck.
  4. rojo412

    rojo412 Walnut is fun! Supporting Member

    Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Thanks... will do. Go Bucs!
  5. I had the same problem when building a project bass. Tried all the usual like Stewmac, in the end I bought a bass that had them, pulled them out, replaced the screws with long woodscrews, and sold the bass for a profit!!
  6. rojo412

    rojo412 Walnut is fun! Supporting Member

    Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Wow... that's quite an extreme measure, Marty. You gotta do what you gotta do, I guess.

    I would have to buy a lot of basses for that. I plan on making more than 1. But why am I arguing this? I love buying basses.
  7. 5not4


    Sep 7, 2000
    Flint, MI
    Try www.mcmaster.com (actually name of the company is McMaster-Carr)

    They are a large industrial supply company and I've purchased threaded brass inserts from them in the past.

    Good luck.
  8. bwbass


    May 6, 2002
    I've gotten some good ones from Reid Tool Supply, but I've also seen a few different kinds at McLendon's, which is a big local hardware store.
  9. I asked Hambone about this last year. He said you probably won't find threaded inserts at a major hardware store. You have to go to a specialty woodworking store.

    He suggested searching the internet for "Rockler" but I never bothered. (This was back when I was planning on getting a Geddy Jazz w/the crappy truss rod).

    He also suggested you look for steel inserts as they will last longer than brass.

Share This Page